?

Did Jesus Say, I AM the Sabbath Rest?

Many professing Christians today say ... "Jesus IS my sabbath rest". Can you give me a Bible verse that confirms this?

Because the only one I can find that is remotely close to this statement is where Jesus said .."Come unto Me all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will GIVE you rest." (Matt.11:28)

Jesus said He would GIVE us rest. And He has GIVEN us rest .... The seventh day sabbath that He created Himself and blessed and set apart from the other 6 common work days for holy use.

So does the Bible say that Jesus IS our sabbath rest, or that He has GIVEN us the sabbath rest?

And look what the word "give" means in Matthew 11:28 ...

Strong's

"to cause or permit one to cease from any movement or labour in order to recover and collect his strength

2) to give rest, refresh, to give one's self rest, take rest

Sounds like an actual day of rest. Because Jesus doesn't want us to rest everyday. That would be lazy and nothing would get done!

Favorite Answer

Jesus didn't say that, and the bible doesn't say that. Jesus cannot give us physical rest.

Jesus gave us the Sabbath so we can rest from our work and spend special time with him.

Here is a link if you would like to find out more.

• bury

Jesus Is Our Sabbath

Yahshua fulfilled the Sabbath, just the same as He fulfilled all other 9 Commandments making 10 in all. The Sabbath is a spiritual & physical time of rest. Yes I do think the Sabbath speaks of Messiah, in Him we find rest for our souls. His yoke of Torah is easy & His burden is light, not like the burden of the pharisees. Is it any wonder that christianity is in such dire straights, as they continue to teach that the Law/Torah is done away with. Those that teach this will be least in the Kingdom, Yahshua said. People seem to forget that at Mt Sinai there was a mixed multitude as well as 12 Tribes of Israel. The Jews only account for3-4 of the Tribes, where are the other 8-9, a lot of people in this world are Israel & in the end times they will begin to see that they are going the wrong way & come back to Torah. So to say this is only for Jews is not correct. Many references actually show 10 Tribes that will come back. Joseph had 2 sons that were blessed & given a portion of land each, making 13 Tribes, Levi did not receive land as they were the priests of Israel. We are to rest in Yahshua & YHWH will bring back the House of Judah & the House of Israel as in Jer 31:31..............

Yehshua never said that!

The context of Matt 11:28 is the freedom & rest from the heavy burdens of the Law/Torah that the pharisees had put on the people & the next 2 verses show that Yehshua is talking about the yoke of Torah that he brings that is light & easy.

These verses are not about the Sabbath at all.

How can Jesus give us physical rest? It is not possible. Do we get to go without food also because we know Christ? Jesus made it very clear in speaking of praying we do not have to flee persecution on the Sabbath day referring to the destruction of the temple in 70 AD. If Jesus was our Sabbath then this would not be necessary.

Thank you for quoting the versr for us Thomas..but I don't think that Jesus said that He is Sabbath...but He did say that He is The Lord of Sabbath...it is in the book of Luke

Ok let me explain this to you in old hebrew days they would use a "yoke" to train a new ox or what ever male type farm animal. So this "yoke" is a harness type device that places the other male animal side by side the "trained" animal. So that the new animal will have the lighter load and the trained animal will pull the wieght.. So in this scripture Jesus is saying " Come to me all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. " Read the whole context. He is saying take my yoke. meaning walk with me I will carry your load, your soul will have rest. Meaning there is a better way to live,

Also He talks about rest in Hebrews, Psalms, and Joshua.... The rest Jesus is talking about is the promise land. Look at this scripture ".... ever since God created the world, His work has been finished." Heb:4:3, Heb4:6-10:::

"6 It is still true that some will enjoy that rest. But those who had the good news preached to them earlier didn't go in. That was because they didn't obey.

7 So God again chose a certain day. He named it Today. He did that when he spoke through David a long time later. As it was said earlier,

"Listen to his voice today.

If you hear it, don't be stubborn." —(Psalm 95:7,8)

8 Suppose Joshua had given them rest. If he had, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9 So there is still a Sabbath rest for God's people.

10 God rested from his work. Those who enjoy God's rest also rest from their work.6 It is still true that some will enjoy that rest. But those who had the good news preached to them earlier didn't go in. That was because they didn't obey.

"Listen to his voice today.

10 God rested from his work. Those who enjoy God's rest also rest from their work. "

I really believe with all these references that are talking about rest in a way refere to Jesus as being our rest. He took all of our burdens, our sins, sickness, all of it to the Cross. Because in Heb 4:2-3 :::

"2 The good news was preached to our people long ago. It has also been preached to us. The message they heard didn't have any value for them. They didn't combine it with faith. 3 Now we who have believed enjoy that rest. God said,

"When I was angry I took an oath.

I said, 'They will never enjoy the rest I planned for them.' " —(Psalm 95:11)

Ever since God created the world, his work has been finished"

He [God] had planned for us to have rest and I believe it is through Jesus Christ. No Thomas there is not certain verse. But Jesus is our rest!

also notice in verse 2: "they did not combine it with FAITH." are we not to have Faith in Jesus and to believe on His Name, by believe FAITH......

I have a friend on facebook will tell you all the messages God gave her about the sabbath.. I think You will find it really interesting... Look her up Her name is Jennifer Helt

Source(s): biblegatway.com, NIRV. NIV and personal knowledge

No, He never said those exact words in the Bible. Read this article on why I know we don't have to keep the Sabbath.

https://ontheword.wordpress.com/2012/02/05/do-we-n...

Jesus said a lot of things.