Kaitlin asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

How much does it cost to neuter my dog and how old does it have to be? and im located in michigan.?

Favorite Answer

Your dog needs to be at least 6 months old. Humane Societies fix animals for the least amount of money, but you got to be careful. They suggest and do "fix" all animals asap when they get them in, regardless of age.

I've heard horror stories of them nicking organs (b/c the pet's too small) and the animal needs medication the rest of its life. Also, they're not able to hold their urine because they screw up their bladders. So please, if you go that route, don't listen to them and wait a few months...

Source(s): A family member had this happen to their dog.
  • penny

On getting a dog neuter the cost depends on how much he weighs the bigger the dog the more it cost.

I was told by a vet that it is better to have a male dog neuter when they are 8 months old, that if you do it sooner than that it could cause problems with them holding their urine.

Here is a link to low cost spay neuter programs all over -

you'll need to ask if you qualify since some are specifically for low income owners.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/spayneuter/

Ask your regular vet as well.

Early spay/neuter of very young puppies and kittens is done at shelters, but traditionally dogs are spayed beginning at 6-9 months.

ring around all you're local vets. when i was getting my former dog de sexed there were major differences in prices. they will want to know how heavy it is and how old (for a more accurate quote) good luck

4 months, approx $100

call and ask vet in your area