tax returns and foster children?

Our tax returns was rejected because we claimed 2 foster children. We had them for 10 months. We are assuming their mother claimed them. She only had them from Dec. 21, 2011 til the end of the year. What can we do?

3 Answers

  • 9 years ago

    First you need to check with the agency that placed them with you. Most foster parents that claim the foster child, are not actually allowed to do so, it is in their contracts, and in most cases the agency uses the children as an expense. Sounds terrible, but it is true. Additionally, if the agency does allow you to claim the children, you will need a court issued statement that states you had provided care for them from date to date. Then you will want to file a 1040X Amendment if you have proceded with your tax return already with the supporting documentation. This is where to start, from here an IRS rep will provide additional information, as each processing center does things differently (I know, you would think there is standard rules).

    Source(s): CPA
  • tro
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    if these children were placed in your home by a gov't agency you have every right to claim them if they were in your household 6 months and you provided more than 50% of their support

    protest this rejection and you very likely will have no problem providing documentation of the placement in your home by a gov't agency

  • 9 years ago

    You can mail in your return. Include proof they lived with you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.