Hailie P asked in PetsCats · 9 years ago

To what extent can cats learn to mimic/understand human speech?

I call my mother "mama", and I'm pretty sure my cat has picked up on it ^_^ Is that possible? She was trying to get into mum's room just before, and I swear she said "mama", twice. She always has a very distinctive meow that sounds like muffled speech, but she's never actually used a word in context before. Could she actually have picked up on it, or is it just a coincidence?

Please, and thank you very much :)

• Ocimom
    Favorite Answer

They understand human language a lot better then speaking it. Some dogs and cats have mastered a few human words that really sound close to what we say. I had one cat that could say several human words and one or two of my cats now can say NO back....lol

But they understand a lot more because they answer back (in cat language) to questions I've asked them.

My cat can say the word 'NO' and that usually happens when he doesn't want to be picked up. So yes I believe cats do understand simple commands and names of family members. My other cat knows how to do tricks and both of my cats know what a squirrel is and will come racing at full speed to see one from the window when I shout out 'squirrel squirrel' it's so cute. Oh and they'll come and follow me when I call out their name and I say 'come' the little one will actually walk right beside me like a trained dog where the other one will just come.

Here's my cat following commands...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgQzZjRJiqU

Youtube thumbnail

Enjoy! : )

Source(s): Tinkerbell and Diablo

I don't know if this is your thread, or someone else with a very similar situation, but check it out. I think it's up to interpretation. Many cats just have weird sounding meows, but she could be mimicking your sounds as well.