Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 9 years ago

Why do people trash Wing Chun as weak and ineffective?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It doesn't help that there is ALOT of infighting and internal bickering in Wing Chun. Everyone says Ip Man taught me this secret way of doing the same form everyone else does, and he only taught me..etc etc.

The truth is probably closer to..Ip Man taught it differently to different people because...they're all different.

Also alot of people do it because they've never seen it in the octagon, the same reason they used to (not as much now) talk crap about TKD and Karate.

To many people the proof is in the pudding: if your art is so good, let's see it.

I don't think Bruce was any sort of genius as far as wing chun, just had power, speed, and explosiveness. However I don't think he thought lowly of wing chun, because it was one of the main arts he used to formulate JKD. He was against set patterns, and dead training, and fixed systems altogether. I think he was more against how they're taught than the strategy and concepts themselves.

I sort of agree with not teaching JKD to beginners, JKD is not a martial art really, but an approach to training, a philosophy. Bruce himself, as well as Dan Inosanto both stressed the importance of learning Jun Fan Gung Fu first (or whatever art you studied), as this was the "backbone" of the JKD nucleus.

I kind of like JKD's philosophy of just teaching the good stuff to people rather than making them wait a decade or so.

• 9 years ago

Are you kidding? Wing chun gets plenty of love in general, and is commonly upheld as an efficient art. In fact, it probably gets more credit than it deserves in this respect.

There are always SOME people that knock down an art, usually because they have encountered poor schools or poorly-trained fighters from that art.

Some major weakness of wing chun as it's usually trained nowadays (mostly Yip Man lineage):

- too much time spent in solo form and dummy training, without the use of a live, resisting person as a reference point

- traps are negated when the other guy either withdraws his strike quickly (as in boxing) or grabs onto you (probably a deterioration of the system due to dead training as described above)

I no longer use wing chun, as I've said many times on this board. Within trapping range (which I usually now call clinch range) Greco-Roman wrestling, dirty boxing, dumog, etc. are more effective most of the time. Wing chun works... there are just other things that work better... so that particular tool hardly ever comes out of the box.

• Dave M
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Probably because they are ill-informed. Anyone saying this probably hasn't taken the art to the level of mastery so how could they possibly know?

Then there is the Bruce Lee connection, even he didn't take it to mastery. My understanding of this is that he thought a lot of Wing Chun was ineffective but then Bruce thought that about all martial arts. Truth is the ineffective parts were ineffective for him. There was no complete system to him, this is why he made his own, JKD falls into the same sort of trap. Lots of folk class this as a martial art but it isn't, it's philosophy on unarmed combat that's aimed at well seasoned martial artists, dan grades basically. It's ideals are tailor made, by Bruce Lee for Bruce Lee. The ideals don't necessarily apply to everyone. The idea of teaching JKD to a noob is ridiculous. That would be like trying to teach advanced mathematics to a guy who can't do basic arithmetic.

To the dude that said it was created by a woman. This is not true. It was created for a woman and named after the same woman. Long story short. Man in village nobody likes, big bruising bully type wants to marry this girl, can't recall if it was Yim Wing Chun or Yip Wing Chun. Either way, she agrees but only if he can beat her in unarmed combat in 6 months time. He agrees to this. The girls father or uncle (can't recall) is a kung fu practitioner but realises he can't teach her enough to win in 6 months so he broke it down into what later became known as Wing Chun.

• 9 years ago

A number of reasons.

1. It's easy to find Wing Chun McDojos.

2. Most Wing Chun schools have very little by way of sparring or fast training.

3. Many Wing Chun schools are known for talking the talk and talking more when asked to walk the walk.

4. Bruce Lee. Wing Chun students quote him like crazy but half don't realize he dropped out of Ip Man's training and put the style down on a number of occasions.

5. Many Wing Chun students quite happily mouth off about other styles and get bent out of shape when their own is put to question.

6. Upsetting them is easy, they're easily trolled.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Odee has a great answer. I would like to add one thing to it:

7. Wing Chun was created by a women, so some view as a girl's art (hence weak and ineffective).

• Darren
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Every style gets trash talk from someone, it's the nature of the beast. If you cannot take criticism martial arts isn't an ideal form of self defense for you. Wonder why so many martial arts movies pit one style against another... it just perpetuates this mentality. Martial arts is one of the few activities where you can literally put your fist to back up your bigoted biased opinion on who is better.

____

Want definitive, Buy a gun (and make sure you kill him before he gets in arms reach)... yet even then people will say my gun is bigger than your gun! (just can't win)

____

If you ever reach a level in your training were you realize the style you take doesn't make you the better martial artist, it's dedication, it's talent, hard work and continual practice and honing of your skills which make you the better martial artist. The most able martial artists seek talent within themselves, the lowly martial artist seeks talent by speaking ill of others.

This type of one-up-manship is very discouraging to see in those who study eastern martial arts where virtue and sensibility is stress. I expect it from WWF western type of influence where trash talk is the norm and self-composure is little to none.

Source(s): I've been practicing WC since 1975. I used to be young and obnoxious just like the anyone else who starts a martial art. Overtime hopefully you can be proud of your system of martial arts without speaking ill of others. It only make your own style look bad.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

As i said before in a previous question of yours i'm sure there is WC artists who could kick people around. However that is largely not the case just like TKD.

There is an unwritten blanket rule to respect other arts in martial arts, however that doesn't mean one cannot criticise modern training methods of many schools of that art in the west. Martial arts like religion get this undeserved respect where one cannot criticise them for fear of being rude.

Like i said last time WC largely seems to not use sparring methods or live-resistance training & if it does a common problem is you have two people complying to stay in close quarter combat which will not be the case in any other fight (grappling/going into long range will occur). There are some clips of WC in sparring matches on YouTube & you can see everytime how the WC student fails to keep an opponent in close quarter combat for any sufficient period of time to do damage....instead they try to rush in & flail their arms at their opponent many a time who just keeps retreating & striking from long range.

Practicing with complying partners or dummies that go through a sequence of moves (ie a pattern) is all fine & dandy to get the basics down, but this has to be applied in some form of sparring. There is a reason why many sport-arts last in the ring & other arts that don't practice sparring rarely last, & its not all down to a bias of the ring + rules that favors the sport-art. It is because they've trained against people who move & resist & throw unknown moves, they've learned to deal with this & react. A TC here i remember posted a study in japan of two different instructors (one trained purely kata, the other majority sparring) who pitted their students agaisnt one another. The sparring instructor students overwhelmingly won, however i cannot recall if all things were near equal (ie knowledge & such of the instructors)

Personally also from attending classes in my area i've noticed they do many flashy moves like weapon disarms & such, maybe they do so because the instructor wants to attract a new student & knows flashy moves reel them in. But to me with some experience of weapon training i leave the very second they start doing these empty hand locks against knives/sticks as my instructor was largely against disarms & showed us how even he with his experience could not guarantee effectiveness at disarms when you got an opponent flailing a weapon & aiming to hit you full force. Even when we were all padded up (ie no fear of pain), it was extremely difficult to grapple & disarm. Moral of the lesson, if you got room to run when somebody brandishes a knife take it otherwise you're looking at a punctured torso

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.