Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 9 years ago

How much of a shock and difference is it to change Karate styles like from Shotokan to Goju-ryu?

I am thinking of training in Shotokan but I might go travelling in the future and have to change to the Karate styles where I move to. How much of a change would it be to go from Shotokan to like Goju-ryu or Shito-ryu?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Kokoro
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

while the kata may be different, its the way the movements are performed in the kata that make up the real difference

goju ryu and shotokan have different hip motions for starters which changing between takes getting use to. goju ryu is almost always a full hip were as shotokan switches from blocking at half hip to striking at a full hip. then you have the stance lengths as well, and many other fundamentals.

edit i missed the shito ryu part

shito ryu also use different hip motions and stance lengths as well as kihon then the other two styles.

you have three different styles and three different types of movements

odee shotokan is not just straight line it has a lot of circular techniques as well

Source(s): 30yrs ma
  • 9 years ago

Ignoring the obvious differences of entirely different Kata and history, the fundamental physical philosophies are entirely different. That is NOT to say they are incompatible. It will also make a difference what version of Goju Ryu you learn. Okinawan Goju Ryu is, as Kokoro stated, is a full hip movement school. Goju puts a lot of emphasis on breathing techniques and breath control including the deep diaphragmatic breathing techniques used in their core katas of Sanchin & Tensho. Also Shotkan uses a lot of front stances (forward leaning stance, zenkutsu dachi) where Goju Ryu and traditional Shorin Ryu and Shito ryu use Sanchin dachi and Han Zenkutsu-dachi sometime called moroashi Dachi) more frequently. This is obvious when you look at the Katas. Most Guju Ryu forms use Sanchin Dachi and half-front stances (Han Zenkutsu-dachi) extensively, and when you look at the Shorin-ryu katas such as the Pinans, they also use a lot of the higher standing Han Zenkutsu-dachi where as the Heian katas (The Shotokan version of the same forms) use full Zenkutsu-dachi.

While this may not seem like much of a difference, the reasoning behind these differences, the fighting principals and the movement theories are. If you switch early enough, say before 5th Kyu, tyhen you should be fine, or if you change styles after 2nd Dan or 7-10 years or so, then you should be okay. In the middle though, and you will have a whole lot to relearn.

If you have to change to styles it is not a bad thing, just keep in mind that the techniques ARE different so don’t hold on to preconceptions or you may end up missing out.

Source(s): 30+ years of Martial arts training.
  • 9 years ago

Rather easy.

Shotokan is a point style, by that I mean straight lines, straight strikes and straight up blocks.

Goju-ryu is a circle style, meaning brushing blocks, twisting throws and more roundabout style attacks.

It's a lot like changing from Karate to Judo, the styles are too different to cause confusion.

To prove this point I'll use Kyokushin as an example. Kyokushin is a point and circle style and has roots in both Goju-ryu and Shotokan. As a beginner a Kyokushin student is taught in much the same way as a Shotokan student, at about 3rd kyu a Kyokushin student begins adding Goju-ryu's circular style to the mix along with their more conservative deflecting block style. Speaking as a former Kyokushin student and still very happy with the teachings I'll say if an overly aggressive untalented Kyokushin student like me can manage the swap then surely it's not that much of a shock.

Source(s): Ten years of Kyokushin.
  • 9 years ago

Shotokan is Japanese and Goju-ryu is Okinawan Karate. There are a lot of differences between Okinawan and Japanese Karate. They may not be visible to everybody but once you start training you will find that they are not the same at all. Generating power is different, stances, timing etc. Making changes would be just as hard as changing to any other martial art altogether.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Not too much. Shotokan and Shito Ryu share many of the same Kata, as do Goju Ryu and Shito Ryu.

If you're good in Shotokan, you'll be good in Goju Ryu.

• 9 years ago

practicing kata and movement in a certain way develops a habit of doing that way, suddenly having to change it could be pretty frustrating. but in my opinion knowledge is knowledge, take what you can get.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.