Kate
Kate asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

In Spanish, is it weird if a husband speaks formally to his wife?

I'm making a dialogue between a husband and wife in Spanish. I'm making the husband a very respectful gentleman, but would it still be weird for him to speak formally to his wife? Like calling her usted instead of tu?

• Chaski
    Favorite Answer

In South America is not used "Usted" when talking to your spouse

but... in Central America is very common .

Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador <--- I know these countries use "Usted" when they are talking to their spouse.

But I would suggest that you use "Tu", that is the way most spanish speakers talk

.

.

Source(s): Native Spanish Speaker

I think you should use tu instead of usted. I'm from South America and as far as I can tell, no husband uses the word usted to call his wife. Usted is word that spanish people usually use to call an important person (like your boss or your teacher) or a stranger, so avoid using it. Husbands don't speaks formally to their wifes; and if you ask me, using words like usted is too much.

Source(s): I'm from South America :3

my parents never used "usted" when speaking to each other. just use "tu"

good luck with your dialogue!

Hi Jpop, the plural of "wife" is: "wives". So it should be: "Husbands don't speak formally to their wives."