Can you bring a guest to a bridal shower?

My future sister in law invited me and my partner to her bridal shower. My partner understandably does not want to go. But I have yet to meet my future sister in law and would like to meet her. My Only delima is I don't want to be in a room full of women who are very close to the bride and I have never met. I was thinking of bringing my sister (if she didn't get an invite) or if she can't go bring my best friend. I wasn't sure if this would be inappropriate, but it just seems like a very uncomfortable place to be not knowing anyone.

Favorite Answer

Only women attend bridal showers usually so only bring your guest if your guest is a woman AND make sure it is ok with the bridal shower host that you are bringing an extra guest.

• Paula

It seems to me the real problem is you've never met your future sister in law. I'm not sure if her bridal shower is the best place to meet her for the first time.

I'm guessing this is your partner's sister or sister in law, so why don't you and your partner pay a visit to them, just the 4 of you meet for coffee for an hour or so? Siblings should meet up occasionally anyway!

As for the shower: I don't think bringing a friend the bride doesn't know is appropriate. If you feel like you know no one, skip it and send a gift.

Traditionally a bridal shower is an intimate event with a carefully selected guest list. Only those closest to the bride should be invited. Of course, you're invited because you are future family. You don't say who she is marrying to be your future sister in law, but I would assume it's your brother. I would wonder why you haven't met your brother's fiance.

Whatever the situation, you can't replace a guest. This is the time when you need up to step and learn how to go to a social situation alone. You will find that most people are very welcoming and it's easy to get to know people and engage in small talk. If this woman is about to be your future sister in law (family) I find it hard to believe that there will be no other family at the shower.

Your partner is a relative of the sister-in-law and has a spot in her life. As his partner, of course you were invited as his guest. I do not believe it is proper etiquette to take an invitation addressed to a specific person and make it transferable to a stranger. Therefore, it is not right for you to inject a stranger into someone elses bridal shower. You may think that you are a stranger, so it does not matter. Oh, but it does, because now you are family to this bride through marriage. Bringing a totally random guest is not appropriate. I think you would be putting the random guest in an awkward position to attend a stranger's bridal shower.

I understand you do not know anyone. Well, now is your chance to go and introduce yourself to these people and get to know them. No one is going to bite you, I am sure. I went to a baby shower and knew the bride and one other person. Everyone was friendly and I met a woman who lived in my town and two weeks later we went out to lunch and she has become an acquaintance of mine. So, you see, this is an opportunity to meet people.

However, if you are too chicken to go alone, call the number supplied on the invitation for your RSVP and ask if you can bring a random guest.

It is never appropriate to bring a guest unless the invitation said ' and guest'. If it specified ' and partner' that is not ' and guest'. Since I dont know how the invitation was worded, it is difficult to answer. Im sure your best friend wouldnt enjoy going to a strangers shower any more than you will. Showers are only exciting for the guest of honor , host and one or two others.

• Wen *

I think out of politeness and to start things of on the right foot with her I would contact Her and ask if it was ok. If possible you could meet up with her first(alone or with some of her friends for something informal) and go out for a cuppa, Lunch, dinner,shopping etc so It might make you feel more comfortable meeting her a least once before the bridal shower not to say that you couldn't bring someone to shower just that it might you feel better when you turn up at the shower. Have a great time.

I'm not sure why all these people are saying yes. My first instinct is "absolutely not." I've never heard of this. It's not a plus one type occasion. You'll only be there a couple hours in the middle of the day. And if you don't know many people, it's totally acceptable for you to stay for a shorter period.

However, if everyone else is saying they think it's ok, I agree you should ask.

it is not good etiquette to bring a stranger to the bride to her bridal shower

send a gift if you feel uncomfortable

if your sister receives an invitation ?

bring her

otherwise - go by yourself and send your regrets and a gift

peace

Bringing someone other than your partner (who was invited) is not appropriate.

i would ask if that was ok

jest say my partner can't make it

is it ok for my sister to come with me

your sister-in-law might only want close friends and family there

its better to ask first then to show up