Poor sounding Ukulele?

I recently got a Mahalo ukulele (the smallest model) and once tuned it sounds really quite poor. When the strings are open they sound fine and hold their tone, but when the majority of them are pressed down in chords it just sounds off. I have checked it with a chromatic tuner and many of the notes are either just in the correct semitone or in the semitone below. Is this a common problem and is there anything I can do to correct this?

Favorite Answer

Here are some reasons for poor sound:

1. Old strings

2. Bad frets

3. Cheap model and bad materials

4. Low pressure on strings as you try to play a chord

Notice: As you shorten the lenght of the string, the sustain tone gets shorten too. Shorter string-shorter tone.

• ?

If your strings are good and the uke is in tune, but the fretted notes are flat (progressively more so as you go up the neck), the factory may have glued the bridge in the wrong place (too far from the neck).

It is very unusual to see an instrument built with a mislocated bridge in this day and age, so you might want to have a guitar tech look at it to double check. Return it if it's really in the wrong place.