I am desperate, someone knowledgeable help!!!?

Alright I have a 99 Mercury cougar v6...On Saturday night, I go to start my car and boom...doesn't start. The engine turns over but then it dies a split second later. The only way it will run is if I keep my foot on the gas pedal. There was also a really bad smell when I was revving the engine and black smoke coming out of the exhaust. Alright, so I tried putting some "heet" in there. We got nailed with snow that night and I thought it might help, idk. But It didn't help.

My dad pulled on that little lever under the hood that makes the engine rev for about 5 min and it ran fine on it's own. I let it run for about 15 min longer, went outside and shut it off and it started up fine again....Took it up and down the street, felt fine. Got in my driveway, turned it off and on again....it was fine. So about an hour and a half later, I went outside and tried cranking it again...it hesitated, but it started. Mcuch later that night, I started it again and it didn't start...So I had it towed to my mechanic. They call me the next day and they tell me that it's starting and running fine. WTF?

My check engine light has been on since I have had the car (march 2011) Never had a problem starting before. My mechanic said the 2 codes are: p0171 and p1131. He didn't really give me any answers. I suggested to him that maybe it was the IAC valve and he said that wouldn't cause black smoke or smell, I suggested catalytic converter, vacuum leak...everything. He said he was going to start it tomorrow morning to see if it starts up and give me a call. This is bs! Someone help please, I need some real advice

Favorite Answer

have him scan the computer when it wont start and check the coolant temp sensor reading.Even though it runs fine when warmed up,the sensor may not be reading properly at very low temps and can cause hard starting and the black smoke that you describe.