What happened to Punk rock?

Is it that it became too aggressive and New Wave took over? Why, how? What happened?

I know it isn't exactly dead but it isn't what it used to be. Im writing a report. i just need to know why people moved to new wave.

-__- no I'm not implying its bad, this is for a report!

Favorite Answer

punk's not dead you still have:

the casualties

the exploited

drones

officer down

the inCiders

i could go on forever but you get the point

(green day to me is not punk)

Good, I'm glad you realize punk rock is dead and anything masquerading as that is either a rehash or isn't punk in any way shape or form (like Green Day, who lack the testicles to be in the same county as a real punk rock band).

Okay, punk rock had its reasons for existing. Mainstream society in the UK, and to a degree in the US, in the 1970s was really tighta$$ed and conservative. Punk challenged the paradigm. Entering the 80s, people had loosened up a bit and so punk faded away because what it was about -- anarchy, self-destruction, giving a voice to the disenfranchised youth -- wasn't necessary anymore.

New Wave (also called Modern Romantics) became the new style because it was about hope and love, rather than trashing and anger. It focused on meaningful lyrics about love and the new synthesizers, where punk was aggro lyrics about society and guitars. Punks didn't become Wavers, the Wavers were the people who weren't quite as pissed-off as the Punks and liked nice clothing.

Source(s): Compare a song by Rancid to a song by Thompson Twins. :)

Glad you asked. I'm a punk myself, though according to people, the fashion instantly makes me a poser? I don't know. People are assholes. Anyways, what really ticked me off was when EMO , or "scene kids" took hardcore Punk and changed it into a more "lovey-dovey" version of punk and changed it into pop-punk. BUT WAIT! Punk bands like Bad Religion, Exploited, and Chaos UK still travel today. Punk isn't entirely dead. There are still punk rockers all over the place, ESPECIALLY in high school.

Hip-Hop and Rap have almost took over every other genre in the mainstream current (sadly..), but that will end and in a few years, a new music generation will begin! Maybe Punk Rock will return after it's "nap"? You never know, the Government is still lying to us, and they are already creating concentration camps in the USA (FEMA) because the world is supposed to end or some ****.

But, whatever. Everybody dies, right? Well, here's my answer: Punk Rock is still here! Alive and in many people's hearts. Take my stepfather for an example, he's 31 and been a punk all his life. =:)

Source(s): Personal experience.

Are you implying it's bad now?

There's a ton of great punk bands still. Amebix even released a new album last year.

And then there's all the Crack Rock Steady bands etc...

Punk is just as bad/good as it ever was lul.

Punk rock is still very much alive and well in Europe. Seems they even have all the best techno as well.

If you want to find music that you didnt even know existed then get the P2P "Usenet". Once you learn the few basic steps you find all the rare but recent songs in all genre's including punk

Source(s): I have usenet and its NOT illegal

It has turned to garbage. Pop punk has taken over and it looks like it is here to stay. The only band that I like that would fall under the Pop punk category would be Blink-182.

Punks got old.

I sure miss it though... Today, most of it feels kind of out of place... Fun every once in a while!

Green Day were formed.