i7msc15283 asked in SportsCycling · 9 years ago

Allez Sport or Allez Comp Apex ?

Which bike model should I go with... Looking to upgrade from a Hybrid Bike to an Entry Level Race Bike! For Long Distance Riding!!!

Allez Sport - shimano sora , 9 speed

Allez Comp Apex - SRAM Apex , 10 speed

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Tex T
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

For long distance riding, like a 200 mile Seattle to Portland ride, I think the Specialized Roubaix with the SRAM Apex 10sp is a better choice over an entry level road bike like the Allez. The reason being is that most entry level road bikes, the Allez included, have shorter chain stays and short wheel bases for quick handling and power transfer in sprints for winning crits and short road races. The Roubaix on the other hand has a longer wheel base and long chain stays for the same frame size, more like a touring bike geometry, so it will be more comfortable the longer you ride it.

You don't need any fancy wheels for STP, so take that money and add it to what you would spend on the Allez and that will bring you to the prices of the Roubaix.

• droid
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Don't fear the hills, own them. Get better at riding them and it'll make your life a whole lot easier, and you will be open to many more fun cycling routes. As I said, go for the Allez Comp apex, better frame, better components, just a step up over the sport. If you like shimano, you can save 200 and get the Allez Comp with tiagra. It's best if you get clipless pedals over toe clips, to maximize your pedaling efficiency.

• 9 years ago

From some of your earlier questions you seem to be concerned about your ability to climb hills. The SRAM Apex group can handle much wider gear range than the Sora group, plus it has 2 extra gear ratios. The Allez Comp is the better bike for you

• John M
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Go with the Allez Comp Apex.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Go for Allez sport-Shimano sora

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.