How do you afford children?

Hi guys, i just wondered how people afford kids when they have houses to run, cars etc. me and my partner are at the stage now were we really want to plan for a family but i am so worried about money and if we would even be able to pay all our bills with maternity allowance nevermind providing for the baby. Its quite sad we have to think can we afford it when there are so many woman, young girls mostly that are getting pregnant with no jobs and yet we both have full time jobs and were worried. Iv got a paper that tells me what im entitled to for maternity but i dont understand it lol. But if anyone has any advice on how you cope, our bills cost us £1450 a month alone!!

• TaDaa!

Get jobs that pay enough money so that it will put you above the poverty line.

Learn how to save money.

You don't have to buy everything new. Lots of people sell stuff they barely used on Craigslist, Ebay etc.

Breastfeed if you can. If you can't...then oh wells, no real ways to save at all if you don't breastfeed.

I know some people have close relatives that do not work babysit. They don't really pay them either since it's family. Every now and then they'd give them 20-50...pretty damn cheap for having to take care and feed a child every day! I know this isn't possible for everyone but I'm just saying that this is how some people are able to afford children too.

U also have to think that a lot of these young girls getting pregnant are either on welfare or living with parents who buy everything. There's programs like WIC that pays for all the formula. And there's medi-cal that pays for all pregnancy doctor appointments plus the labor to where they don't pay a dime! So its probably a lot harder to actually pay for everything yourself. Kids are expensive that's why we shop at thrift stores for my baby u can find good clothes for cheap. We had a surprise baby shower too which helped a lot. But just take a year or two to save money maybe that's something that would help you out a lot...

It is hard affording a baby but its also worth it. I am 17 and was working in childcare and my partner is 21 hes a qualified fitter/machinist. We are due to have twins on the 18th of april. I had to stop work (sore/swollen feet) our bubs arent here yet but all the things we had to get for them cost well over $7000 we've made a budget and are just going off that. you can do it just be careful and it can mean not going out alot and spending money on things that arent necisary. Its hard but i wouldnt change a thing :)

• Ashley

No matter what your income is, your kids somehow end up costing just a bit more than you actually make. That tends to be true whether you're dirt poor, or a millionaire. You just budget your money and try to live within your means, and most families find a way to make it work. Good luck!

• TomTom

With twin daughters I found that I spent less money on makeup, less money on evening gowns and clothes altogether, and less money on dining out - I am talking about myself. It's not like me and my husband are in a position that we can not afford theseluxuriess, my point is that when you have children these kind of expenses seem to be wiped off your budget just because you don't have time for it all anymore. For example, I'm not going to bother putting on makeup and doing my hair when I'm just going to be looking after my daughters all day. Yes, your baby will create extra expenses and things might be a bit tight for awhile, but these things just have a habit of working themselves out. It's good that you are thinking about these kind of things - which will definitely make it easier to budget.

its kinda hard to explain we just do. i mean me and my partner are both in the same situation but we still manage to get by. the more you stress about it the worse you will do. its not easy im not saying that but in the end you will always find a way.

You don't if it's just a partner. You make sacrifices if it's your husband. You only get needs, not wants, or get college degrees first, then marriage, then babies.

have the kids get a job.

I've never boughten one

You have to work and work hard.