How would you interpret the tone of this comment?

"Wow. Well may I suggest you don't read his books then! I wish more people in the world were as inept as he is, might I add. I admire that he is trying to make contributions in these areas. If they're inept, I am sure his peers will set him straight. "

It was a reply to somebody claiming a researcher to be inept at philosophy. The writer claims they were genuinely interested in the opinion of the person they addressed. To me, it seems like a flat-out dismissal. What would you say the tone of this message is like? What does it imply? Is it friendly or unfriendly? Open and inquisitive, or belligerent and sarcastic?

To clarify:

Person A said that writer X was inept.

Person B then responded with the comment quoted above.

Especially the "I am sure his peers will set him straight" came across to me as "his peers, not you."

Person B is claiming this was a comment of "sincere interest" in what person A thought. Genuine and humble, person B calls it.

Wouldn't you say that is a load of crap? That this is obviously snide/sarcastic and telling person A off and not in the least interested why they call writer X inept?

Person B later said he did not in fact read the books in question.

• Mike
    Favorite Answer

it was friendly, but sarcastic, gets and A for effort, because the person was sincere about his contributions he was trying to project, but there a little ahead of themselves. example. just because you can play a instrument well, doesn't make you a musician.

yes flat out dismissal is correct but we would have to know the tone of voice it was said with to know what was implied - Its pretty damning though - not something I can imagine wanting to hear - Sounds a bit patronising that the speaker is taking power to state reality.

It's pretty sarcastic.

sarcastic

• ELF

you're right, it's a flat-out dismissal; BELLIGERENT AND SARCASTIC.

nipples, nipples, and more nipples. scissor me nipples! before i come give you a big kiss