How would you interpret the tone of this comment?

"Wow. Well may I suggest you don't read his books then! I wish more people in the world were as inept as he is, might I add. I admire that he is trying to make contributions in these areas. If they're inept, I am sure his peers will set him straight. "

It was a reply to somebody claiming a researcher to be inept at philosophy. The writer claims they were genuinely interested in the opinion of the person they addressed. To me, it seems like a flat-out dismissal. What would you say the tone of this message is like? What does it imply? Is it friendly or unfriendly? Open and inquisitive, or belligerent and sarcastic?

Update:

To clarify:

Person A said that writer X was inept.

Person B then responded with the comment quoted above.

Especially the "I am sure his peers will set him straight" came across to me as "his peers, not you."

Person B is claiming this was a comment of "sincere interest" in what person A thought. Genuine and humble, person B calls it.

Wouldn't you say that is a load of crap? That this is obviously snide/sarcastic and telling person A off and not in the least interested why they call writer X inept?

Person B later said he did not in fact read the books in question.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Mike
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

it was friendly, but sarcastic, gets and A for effort, because the person was sincere about his contributions he was trying to project, but there a little ahead of themselves. example. just because you can play a instrument well, doesn't make you a musician.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

yes flat out dismissal is correct but we would have to know the tone of voice it was said with to know what was implied - Its pretty damning though - not something I can imagine wanting to hear - Sounds a bit patronising that the speaker is taking power to state reality.

• 9 years ago

It's pretty sarcastic.

• 9 years ago

sarcastic

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ELF
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

you're right, it's a flat-out dismissal; BELLIGERENT AND SARCASTIC.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

nipples, nipples, and more nipples. scissor me nipples! before i come give you a big kiss

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.