will replacing the rectifier tube on my Vox AC-30 custom classic 2 remedy my issue?

Hi vox community! i am having a bit of an issue with my custom classic 2...

this is my first post on these forums! i figured no one would know better than you fine folks.

quick overview of my situation:

i have owned and played this Vox for the greater part of a year with no issues...

please note that i literally am learning as i go here, i have virtually no knowledge of the workings of amplifiers or even electronics. i hope i didnt do anything to further damage my amp, i did much research prior. that said, i went to play the other day and heard a quick buzz through the speakers before hearing a short and the fuse popping. the power to the amp died, and when i checked, sure enough, the fuse had blown. in my effort to find what was happening, i blew a few more. ( the fuses are correct) i finally pulled the chassis from the cab and took a look at the tubes, there was no visible damage. i powered up the tubes with a new fuse and they started glowing. what i could see now though was that about 14 seconds in as they warmed up on standby, the bottom of the rectifier tube started arcing inside and looked like it was shorting. the fuse blew, and i was back where i started. ( is troubleshooting this way a horrible idea? :P)

is this a bad rectifier tube? it is a Sovtek and my research shows them to be unreliable. if i buy a new tube and install it, will this remedy the issue? or are there other diagnosis to rule out? what do you, the experts, recommend as a next step? thanks so much for your patience and experience in advance.

jamie

Hi Tubes as you call them valves as we call them here in the united kingdom do go wrong but not often as it is usually a reliable component the most likely components are electrolytical capacitors which go wrong or wire wound resistors sometimes found around the rectifying valve or tube.

so it would be a good idea in this instance to take it to a repair shop to get it fixed.

as messing about inside amplifier can lead to some fatal shocks.

so in the interests of safety take it back to the guitar and amplifier or music shop where you bought it.

Source(s): At 65 years old and an electronics engineer messing with high voltages is not to be recommended to those who do not know what they are doing as shocks can be fatal, it can kill you.

If the rectifier was arcing, then yes, the tube has to be replaced. Since the Sovtek ones are unreliable you could ask a service technician if he will install solid state diodes instead.