Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Help! My dog is making these weird snorting, wheezing sounds?

She's a bichon frise. And she's been doing that right now and I don't know what to do! She sounds like a goose or something and it kind of seems like she wants to throw up. She keeps on doing the noise. Please help!

She stopped now, but I'm still worried. It did seem like she was sort of choking, but now she's not although she seems kind of sad. Should we give her water or something?

• rachel
    Favorite Answer

It could be reverse sneezing, which is VERY common and VERY normal!

Here's a video to compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xS7kAideC0

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

However, the "goose honk" sound is a very typical symptom of a collapsed trachea. Collapsed tracheas are especially common in small dogs.

Check her gums to make sure they are a normal color. A good pink color is normal. Any blue-ish tones means she isn't getting enough oxygen and needs to see a vet ASAP.

Collapsed trachea info:

http://www.medicinenet.com/pets/dog-health/trachea...

Sometimes dogs make weird noises, it's okay. Try not to worry. If she continues to do it or it gets worse, definitely see a vet about it. Better safe than sorry.

Snort Wheeze Sound

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): dog making weird snorting wheezing sounds: https://tr.im/2ddii

Watch her very carefully and see if she does that again. If your pet appears to have any breathing problems or wheezing it is very serious and a life threatening problem and you should take your pet to the vet immediately.

Good luck. Hope this helps. Hugs!

When my dog had kennel cough, the noise was terrifying. However, the vet also understands that there are procedures that can cause those noises. So... do as he says-- if it takes a couple of days later for that to clear up, then take his word for it. If it doesn't, though, then take his word for that too-- and bring your dog back!!

• Lisa

Sounds like reverse sneezing. It's common, it's nothing to worry about, and it won't hurt your dog. If she does it again, try waiving something strong scented like tiger balm or lavender oil under her nose. That usually stops them.

my dog used to do that we sprayed a human asthma inhaler at hr. we didnt put it super close and we sprayec very lightly.

She might be choking! Has she eaten anything? Do you have objects that she could've swallowed?

take her to the vet, maybe she has asthma?

Make her drink a lot of water