What is Medical Dosimetry?

This seems to pay more than a radiologic technologist or sonogram tech. What is it and why would it typically pay more?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The American Association of Medical Dosimetrists predicts increasing demand and a strong job market for these workers due to advances in treatment planning. In addition, Florida Health Careers notes that only a limited number of schools offer training programs for this relatively new profession, so demand will likely outpace the number of available workers therefore higher salaries.

The salary potential is dependent on whether you get work at a hospital, what type of work you're doing, etc. Working under a medical phsyicist to determine appropriate treatment plans for cancer patients can be vaulable, especially if you plan to pursue a medical physics degree later. also, most of the dosimetry in the real world is computerized, with the exception of dose reconstruction, which is usually handled by health physicist rather than dosimetrists.

Comment from Professional

Dosimetry is a good career. It pays well. It's a valuable service. And it's a reasonably low stress position that you can leave at 5:00 pm. There's a certain art to it as well, that I'm not sure we'll ever be able to mimic computationally.

Comment from Professional

I am a Medical Dosimetrist and I can tell you that this job is NOT! low stress. As a dosimetrist, you are the first line of defense (i.e. Crisis Central)...the Docs call you when they can't make sense out of the electronic charts, the therapists are forever calling you about time stamps and dose point corrections, and the physicists call because they saw something in the chart checks.

Comment from a Professional

Yes, you could conceivably get into a Dosimetry program without a bachelors degree. But the reality is that the dosimetry program slots are so competitive that your application won't stand out without a bachelors degree, so I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket. (The program I went to had 2 openings and more than 30 applications.) Of course, if you are a therapists that wants to become a dosimetrist, you can still do on-job-training with a certified Medical Physicist - provided you are able to find a physicist that thinks enough of you to take you on as a student. It has also become more difficult to get your CMD certification through OJT as the Medical Dosimetry Certification Board moves this relatively young career field toward stricter guidelines.

What is Medical Dosimetry? The field of Medical Dosimetry involves the measurement and calculation of dose for the treatment of cancer patients. Dosimetrists use their knowledge of physics, anatomy, and radiobiology to develop an optimal arrangement of radiation portals to spare normal and radiosensitive tissues while applying a prescribed dose to the targeted disease volume.

The medical dosimetrist is a member of the radiation oncology team who has knowledge of the overall characteristics and clinical relevance of radiation oncology treatment machines and equipment, is cognizant of procedures commonly used in brachytherapy and has the education and expertise necessary to generate radiation dose distributions and dose calculations in collaboration with the medical physicist and radiation oncologist.

After the physician has consulted with the patient on their plan of treatment, the Radiation Oncologist will write a prescription dose to a defined tumor volume. The dosimetrist will then design a treatment plan by means of computer and/or manual computation that will deliver that prescribed radiation dose and field placement technique. When designing that plan also taken into consideration is the dose-limiting structures. These structures could include the eye when treating the brain, the heart when treating the lung or the spinal cord when it is included in the area of treatment.

Career Outlook

The future job market for Medical Dosimetry is strong. The many advances in treatment planning increases the demand for qualified dosimetrists. Wages are comparable with other health professions. Given the diversity and ever changing technology of the job, lifelong career satisfaction is achievable

Source(s): Career Instructor Comments from Professional Medical Dosimetrist
  • 5 years ago

Source(s): Get Online Physician Consultation : http://onlinephysician.neatprim.com/?rbqH
  • leng
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Medical Dosimetry Jobs

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Dosimetrist Salary

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.