Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How would you feel if a GSA group sponsored free HIV/AIDS testing?

The LGBT group at my college did this, and I read that there are other universities where various health institutes and organizations offer free tests through GSA clubs.

I didn't know what to make of it. It's good that there are resources for sexually active people, but at the same time the idea leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Pingu
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I say great really, sexual health is a really important issue and more resources need to be in place to deal with it.

I can sort of understand what you mean I guess, it's not a very nice implication that gay people have a greater need for HIV testing than anyone else. But statistically speaking, it's true, and making sure you're free of any STI's is always a good thing. (:

• 9 years ago

I think it's a great idea, because to pretend that sexually active young people do not need to know if they're HIV+ is denial, and denial kills. There are a lot of medications out now that are keeping pos people alive, but if you don't get help until you get full-blown AIDS, not only are you likely to die, you might well infect other people.

Yeah, it's a bitter thing to realize that kids are risking death with unprotected sex. But it's better to face the truth.

• 9 years ago

There are many organizations that offer things like this. It is a great thing to do, because it raises awareness of the risks that some people choose to take. Any of so str8 or gay can contract HIV/AIDS. In fact my str8 female friend is HIV positive and suffers from so many ailments because of it. You cannot be too careful.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Indeed it is good that they have the resources...but in a way its kind of offensive to some that the two are branched together as one...I also read somehwere though that apparently gay men have the highest aids/HIV diagnosis precentage out of all relationship types. I don't know why that is but if you think of it that way then its actually kind of smart.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Personally I would not mind it because I have nothing and as far as I am concerned I am clean so I would always do a test upon request to show a guy I am really clean. But I think everyone has a different opinion on this. But personally I would not mind it. Does not bother me at all.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It's good, but it would be even better if they sponsored therapy sessions so people wouldn't have to be gay anymore if they found the cause and dealt with it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.