Can I start HRT without a therapist?

I'm physically male but I'm a woman trapped in a man's body. I want to start Hormones Replacement Therapy so bad but I cannot afford a counselor right now. I'm in college, work for up to 13 hours a week, and am on disability benefits (for my deafness but only until I find another job to support myself). I live on my own (I'm 21).

1) If there is anything I can't take to stop my facial growth without a therapist, how can I afford a counselor? Do counselors give discounted counseling to people who are on government funds with a part time job? I'm still on my parents' health insurance plan and I will have to pay $900 upfront as a deductible fee before they will cover anything and I cannot afford that right now.

2) How do I find a counselor in Harrisonburg, Virginia that has worked with transgenders? I'm taking Developmental Psychology and my professor recommended one that is an hour away from me (in Charlottesville, Virginia at UVA). Is there not one in my city or something?? I tried to google "Harrisonburg transgender therapist" luck so far :(

I want to cry, I don't know what to do and I want help or something to stop my facial hair SO BAD.

3 Answers

  • 9 years ago

    I don't think you can :(. Wax the facial and body hair? I'm sorry. I hope you get the chance to start HRT soon. Best of luck!!!! xoxoxoxo

  • 9 years ago

    I don't think the government pays for things unless you REALLY need it to survive. HRT is not necessary for survival, so the government will not give it to you as a handout. Remember, if handouts were a good way to live, we'd all live off them.

  • 9 years ago

    You'll never change the gender you were born. You were born male so that's what you are.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.