If god is perfect then how is the bible really the word of god since it has so many contradictions?

I would give examples but it's incredibly easy to just google or read in the bible to find contradictions. How do you know if the bible is really the word of god because it seems unlikely that it is and if it is truly the word of god then god is not perfect since there are errors in it. Also how is it that god tells you to love everyone but disapproves of a man loving another man or a women loving another women?

Update:

For those of you who are calling me stupid for not looking it up. Actually i have I just didn't feel like writing out everything. In reality you are the stupid ones for believing whoever told you the bible is perfect. Here are some examples: GEN 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. GEN 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

GEN 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

GEN 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

GEN 2:19 And

Update 2:

it didn't display all my additional details but also why is the order of creation different in genesis 1 vs 2

Day 1: Sky, Earth, light

Day 2: Water, both in ocean basins and above the sky(!)

Day 3: Plants

Day 4: Sun, Moon, stars (as calendrical and navigational aids)

Day 5: Sea monsters (whales), fish, birds, land animals, creepy-crawlies (reptiles, insects, etc.)

Day 6: Humans (apparently both sexes at the same time)

Day 7: Nothing (the Gods took the first day off anyone ever did)

and

Earth and heavens (misty)

Adam, the first man (on a desolate Earth)

Plants

Animals

Eve, the first woman (from Adam's rib)

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

well, firstly I read the bible for theological reasons. the doctrine of inerrency of scripture holds that the theological aspect of scripture doesn't err, not necessarily the other aspects. the belief that the bible holds theological truths is an axiomatic belief held by Christianity. much like how all of physics is based upon mathematics, which is flooded with axiomatic concepts. now, most of the contradictions in the bible are a result of translation errors. you have to understand that the hebrew view of the world was different than that of the Greek Roman view of the world that we have today. meaning when translating the bible there are going to be sum errors. that's why if one is serious about studying scripture, they would learn its original language.

• If you have the right outline, there are no contradictions in the Bible. To often one approaches the Word of God with preconceived ideas, and then try to find support in the Bible. I study my Bible with my Strong's Bible Concordance, colored pencils, yellow highlighter, and prayer for the Holy Spirit to help me to understand what I am reading. I use the KJV as it has more details than the NIV version. The Bible concordance will help you to find out the meaning of the word from the original language it was written in. It will also give you a list of the word used in other verses, to compare the meaning, and it's usage. Let the Bible explain it's self, rather than relying on man made traditions. One example is given in Genesis 2:1-3. God rested on the 7th day, blessed it , and sanctified it. In Exodus 20:1-17 we can read the 10 commandments of God. These are God's law, not the Moses laws which were attached to the outside of the golden ark, in the Most Holy Place of the sanctuary. God's law that He wrote with His own finger, were placed inside of the golden ark. The lid of the ark was called the Mercy Seat. God's presence was over the Mercy seat in the Most Holy Place. In Revelation you will find that the tabernacle out in the desert with moses and the children of Israel was a pattern of the Heavenly Sanctuary. Exodus 24:10-12, Exodus 25:8-22 gives you more details. In Exodus 20:8-11 you find God asking for worship on the 7th day, by resting from all labour. It goes on to tell us that God is the Creator of everything. That commandment begins with the word remember. It's interesting to find that commandment alone is the one that most no longer follow. Ezekiel 8:15,16 tells us what God thinks of sun worship. Hebrews 4 then tells us that Jesus never changed the day, and that some don't enter in because of unbelief. 1John 3:4 tells us that sin is the transgression of the law. Since God never changes, then His law was in effect when Satan rebelled against God up in Heaven Revelation 12, notice the last verse. Then look in Revelation 22:14 and you see that it isn't Peter that is making the decision as to who can enter the pearly gates. Study and compare scriptures for the truth.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Yeah. Like Google is an authority on the Bible.

There are no contradictions in the Bible. If anyone says so, it's because they never bothered reading it for themselves, or got hung up on a term they didn't understand and thus fugured the whole Bible is invalid.

Edit: Those are not contradictions.

"Here are some examples: GEN 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. GEN 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

How do these contradict each other?

"GEN 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

How does this contradict Genesis 1:25? God is telling the Trinity (yes, that one) to make man in their image, to give dominion over the Earth. Nothing off there.

• 8 years ago

people changed its words in the beginning and this ''Also how is it that god tells you to love everyone but disapproves of a man loving another man or a women loving another women?'' because its wrong, can a man and man or a woman and woman have kids? the answer is no, the truth is if everyone in this world was like that then the human race would become extinct very quickly, HOWEVER we should respect other peoples privacy, we shouldn't care about other peoples private lives and yes you are reading this from a person who believes in God and is a muslim, peace XD

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

The problem here - and it is a really common one - is that you are not able to identify an actual contradiction.

Don't take my word for it: list a Bible contradiction here - any one you like; any one you think is indisputably a contradiction. You'll see very quickly that it is *not* a contradiction.

This might also help (#3 is the relevant one):

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/contradicti...

- Jim

P.S. God - of course - demands that men love other men, and that women love other women. He also demands that men not have sex with other men, and that women not have sex with other women. The fact that you cannot (or simply choose not to) conceptually separate sex from love is, perhaps, related to your misperception of contradictions.

• Lynn
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Some parts are words or thoughts of God. Most of it is the words of human beings who wrote it.

• no one said it is the true words of god have you ever searched up other religions such as ISLAM? If not get started ;)

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

the bible is the word of man. only the ten commandments are the word of God.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

The Bible has no contradictions.

Yes, I know you were told to say it did, but you're not smart enough to check for yourself.

• 8 years ago

The bible has no contradictions.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.