False advertising on a new cars mpg?

I bought a new car in November. The EPA estimated MPG is 25 city 35 highway. I have over 3000 miles on the car already, mostly highway, and it is still only getting 24.6 MPG. I have contacted the Manufacturer as well as the dealer and they are both giving me the run around. Anyone have any experience with this?

I was under the impression (and was told by the dealer) that the car should get somewhere between the city & highway MPG. Not below the city MPG. I understand that they need to sell cars but it does not make it right that they give estimates based on lab tests.

• Rob R
    Best Answer

Your problem should be with the EPA, NOT the dealership nor the manufacturer. The manufacturer has NOTHING to do with the "estimates'...AND, they are "estimates", put on the window sticker by the EPA, NOT the manufacturer OR the dealership so you are barking up the wrong tree.

On our Mazda 3, the rating is 28/40. If you look below the BIG numbers on your window sticker, it will have a range. The "3" I have next to me as I type has below the 28 "Expected range for most drivers 23-33". And below the 40 "Expected range for most drivers 33-47". Check your sticker. I'm sure you are within the range below the big numbers. So, if I have a customer that is getting 23/33, EVEN THOUGHT THE STICKER SAYS 28/40, they are well within the range that the EPA has ESTIMATED!

"I understand that they need to sell cars but it does not make it right that they give estimates based on lab tests"

You're an idiot. How else would they base the numbers? Let 100 customers drive the car THEN put the mileage on? Well, that's just stupid.

Tired of people complaining when they don't have any reason to what-so-ever!

That is all...have a nice day!

It's estimated, and done in a lab under the best conditions. Real world conditions, everything from the weather, to your tires, to the fact that you have to slow down and speed up, will all reduce this. That's just how it goes. The car can get up to 35mpg under pristine conditions, but those conditions don't exist anywhere outside of a lab.

Don't really know what you're complaining about, 35mpg isn't that spectacular to begin with. You obviously weren't buying the car for it's mpg

Ignore that asshole that commented and called you an idiot. He's a pathetic, angry little douche that goes on questions and treats people like ****. There is no excuse for his behavior- you can answer a question and be a decent human being about it. He needs to take some Xanax and calm the hell down.

As for the question, it's estimated, plus the actual mileage pretty much matches the bottom estimate so I don't think you'll be able to do anything, except recommend to others that this particular car isn't the one to go with. Sorry you were misled :(

Your numbers are within the stated MPG ratings of the car. You have no complaint.

If you want better gas mileage get your foot off the accelerator and stop riding the brakes.

The break-in period for any new engine is 5K miles, so you can't judge anything until there are this many miles on it.

If you are still getting poor mileage after that, you need to make sure your tires are inflated properly and you are driving conservatively in order to achieve optimum mpg.

These numbers are under pristine conditions for driving, and are exaggerated a bit, almost all manufacturers will do this, it helps sell the product

Source(s): my brain

EPA mileage estimates are obtained under carefully controlled conditions. That's all they are required to do.

What part of estimated don't you understand?