Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkNon-Alcoholic Drinks · 8 years ago

Is it safe to drink coffee while pregnant ?

• T E
    Best Answer

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) states that moderate caffeine intake -- less than 200 milligrams a day -- won't increase their risk of miscarriage or preterm birth.The same cannot be said for higher amounts of caffeine, the group states in the August issue of Obstetrics & Gynecology.

In general, 200 milligrams of caffeine is equal to one 12-ounce cup of coffee, but coffee drinkers should be aware that there can be tremendous discrepancies in different brews. For example, a grande 16-ounce Starbucks brewed coffee has 320 milligrams of caffeine.

Sami David, MD, a New York City-based reproductive endocrinologist and pregnancy loss expert, tells his patients to play it safe when it comes to caffeinated beverages during pregnancy.

"One cup of coffee a day, which is about 8 ounces and has around 100 milligrams of caffeine, or two cups of black or green tea per day is OK," says David.

• Kaylie

Yes, but it's best to not drink more than two small cups per day or 200mg of caffeine. Anything over that increases the risk of miscarriage. Hope this helps!

Yes. But no more than one or two cups a day. Removing all caffeine would be the safest route, but don't stress yourself over it if you feel you just have to.

• Sawyer

In most cases, it's fine to have some caffeine. In rare cases, you can't have any caffeine at all...I was one of these rare cases where my sons heart was beating irregularly fast and it was causing fluid to collect around his heart and I was ordered to have no caffeine, not even the amount in a piece of chocolate.

• Anna

Yes. My mom did with me and I'm perfectly normal,and so are both of my siblings

yes it is safe no problem