What would be your definitions of the following AGW-related terms?

Climate skeptic

Climate "skeptic"

Denier

"Warmer" or "Warmist"

Realist

Alarmist

Global warming

Climate change

Climate scientist

Scientific evidence

Scientific consensus

I'm aiming for ~1-2 sentence definitions, not 23 paragraphs on each.

Update:

And one more: average global temperature

Update 2:

Jim: I'd prefer a real definition.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Jeff M
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Climate skeptic - Refers to anyone who is skeptical of certain parts of the science behind global warming while also realizing that the warming attributable to CO2 and man's hand in it's increase is a definite reality. People of this nature usually fall under questioning the future effects of natural cycles to this warming while being aware that climates will most definitely change.

Climate "skeptic" - A nice way of saying denier.

Denier - One that denies CO2 related climate change or man's role in it based on shoddy science, blogs, or conspiratorial thinking regarding money or politics to back up their claims.

"Warmer" or "Warmist" - The term people who do not agree with AGW use to describe those that do believe in AGW. Though usually this is done by someone who believes we are currently cooling. These people would probably be labelled deniers.

Realist - Refers to what people who acknowledge AGW call others who acknowledge AGW.

Alarmist - A word used either by skeptics or deniers (Usually not those who believe it is cooling) to describe the belief that the future effects of increased CO2 will be mostly harmful to the creatures that currently exist on the planet. While there is less certainty in certain aspects of future effects, such as hurricanes, there is certainty that climates will be affected.

Global warming - Refers to an imbalance of the Earth energy budget that shows increasing amounts of radiation are being retained by the atmosphere than are exiting.

Climate change - Refers to a change in either regional or world-wide climates and climactic variables, such as weather patterns, due to some forcing such as warming, cooling, etc...

Climate Scientist - People who are trained in the scientific aspects of climate and climate change at Universities. People who are climate scientists are aware of the atmospheric physics involved, what various changes will most likely occur as the result of one climactic variable changing, and so on. People who are climate scientists usually have peer reviewed studies.

Scientific Evidence - Any epistemological evidence pertaining to science.

Scientific consensus - Refers to a majority of opinion in scientific understanding.

Average global temperature - Average surface temperatures as measured on the surface or average surface temperatures and tropospheric temperatures as measured by satellites.

• 9 years ago

Climate skeptic - Someone who doubts the actuality or severity of human caused increases in atmospheric CO2 on Global temperatures.

Climate "skeptic" - Another way of saying 'denier'

Denier - Someone with no basis for skepticism. Used by AGW believers to equate AGW skepticism to Holocaust deniers.

"Warmer" or "Warmist" - Shorthand term for an AGW believer.

Realist - Everybody's opinion regarding whatever they believe.

Alarmist - Someone with no basis for belief in a crisis. Derogatory term for an AGW believer. Alarmist is to Warmist, as Denier is to Skeptic.

Global warming - 1) A rise in the average temperature of the Globe. 2) Short hand for Anthropogenic Global Warming.

Climate change - 1) An unspecified change to the climate. 2) Short hand for Anthropogenic Climate Change. Skeptics see this as a somewhat nebulous term whose use expanded profoundly due to a recent lack of Warming.

Climate scientist - 1) Any scientist studying the climate. 2) A scientific advocate of AGW.

Scientific evidence - Any data methodically & precisely collected to support a given theory or hypothesis.

Scientific consensus - Wide spread Scientific agreement that the Scientific evidence supports a given theory or hypothesis.

• JimZ
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I thought maybe you were giving me a response before I answered but I see a reference to Jim but see no answer from Jungle Jim.

Climate skeptic (Someone who doubts that climate exists, just kidding. Is that a real label, "climate skeptic"? I guess that is like flat-earthers then. It makes anyone who is skeptical of "climate" as a real loon. I guess significant human caused climate change skeptic doesn't flow that well)

Climate "skeptic"(Someone who doubts that "climate" exists, ditto)

Denier (Pejoritive meant to compare to holocaust denier as previously stated, it is used by alarmists with a wink wink nod nod and it is offensive because Holocaust deniers are particularly vile people. The holocaust was perpetuated by statists who tried to use scientific experts and propaganda ministers to push their vile ideas on their population)

"Warmer" or "Warmist" (I generally use alarmists because I think it is accurate and not pejorative. I think warmist is an attempt to be as nice as possible)

Realist (An attempt by alarmists to suggest that anyone that doesn't agree with them doesn't have a grip on reality)

Alarmist (Someone who believes AGW is catastrophic and something needs to be done yesterday. It connotes a certain degree of exaggeration of a problem IMO)

Global warming (meaningless drivel)

Climate change (again meaningless drivel). Climates always change. Using stupid names for something that occurs naturally to try to pin that change on humans is ridiculous and certainly not scientific.

Climate scientist (A scientist that deals with climate. They may be involved with reconstructing past climates such as Mann or they may be involved with climate models or other aspects of climate)

Scientific evidence (Evidence that can be used to falsify a theory)

Scientific consensus (Something that is generally accepted as true among the appropriate scientists)

average global temperature (It isn't very specific as a name. I believe it generally means that temperature data that is obtained by various methods, at or near the surface, is used to extrapolate the temperature across the globe and then mathematically average it. It is a number that isn't easy to come up with. You can use satellite data. You can use thermometer data. You have to decide what to exclude and what to include etc. )

Note: Clearly my job isn't writing dictionary definitions. Dawei is pretty good at it; however, I don't necessarily agree with all his definitions.

• 9 years ago

Climate skeptic--An independent thinker who questions dogma.

Climate "skeptic"--??

Denier--A slur that throw skeptics in the same class as holocaust deniers.

"Warmer" or "Warmist"--Some one who thinks we need massive policy changes because some scientists claim we caused the temp to go up a degree in the last 150 years.

Realist--Some on whose head is not in the clouds.

Alarmist--An excitable person

Global warming--The opposite of global cooling.

Climate change--Something that is always happening

Climate scientist--Some one who studies the climate

Scientific evidence--Data

Scientific consensus--Agreement on theories.

average global temperature--Somewhere between nonsense and a number that could never be agreed upon in terms of methodology.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • bubba
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

I think climate skeptic and warmist are related to people that have look at the scientific research being done and have positions because of the research. They have drawn different conclusions, but their postilions can be changed if as the research progresses.

Denier - position is based on political belief that climate change does not exist because it would be too expensive to deal with and science cannot change changed regardless of the scientific opinion or facts

Realist - tries to keep in mind what can be done. May or may not think AGW is a problem, but sees potential benefits of reducing pollution and diversifying energy.

Alarmist - Obviously thinks AGW is a problem but doesn't understand the timescale of the changes (thinks they may occur faster than what scientists have indicated).

Global warming - I think of warming in addition to the natural greenhouse effect. Warming concurring because of GHGs added by human activity.

Climate change - the differences for our typical climate that occurred in the past because of the excess energy in earth's climate systems because of global warming

Climate scientist - a person who has a PhD in climatology and is actively researching questions in that field.

Scientific evidence - observable facts

Scientific consensus - conclusion drawn by a large majority of scientist that study a phenomenon

Average global temperature - mean temperature based on measurements over many locations over the entire plant and time scale depends on the period you are interested in (typically a year - measurements taken at many locations throughout the year) . Can be obtained using remotely sensed data.

• David
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Climate skeptic -- Someone who challenges, to varying degrees depending on the nature of the claim, claims made relating to climate science regardless of which side they come from.

Climate "skeptic" -- Someone who is far more likely to accept a claim if it comes from a given side, e.g. that global warming is not primarily anthropogenic, than they are to accept a claim coming from the opposing side.

Denier -- A person who insists on maintaining a contrarian view of a widely-accepted fact.

"Warmer" or "Warmist" -- Not someone who believes the Earth is warming, but someone who believes it is warming primarily due to anthropogenic causes.

Realist -- A person whose opinion on AGW is generally in agreement with the scientific consensus.

Alarmist -- A person who believes global warming will, in the very near future, cause devastation across human society. Often linked with the extreme degree of action demanded to mitigate this devastation, e.g. total abstinence from fossil fuels tomorrow.

Global warming -- In virtually every modern context, it refers to the warming trend over the past ~100 years, and/or predicted warming into the future. If you are discussing paleoclimate it might refer to a different warming event, but this context represents a very small fraction of all discussions about global warming that occur today.

Climate change -- Again, often referring to modern times, it is a term that encompasses all of the effects associated with the current global warming event, including changes in precipitation patterns or storm intensities.

Climate scientist -- A person who studies some aspect of climatology in a professional context, whose studies attempt to expand the boundaries of the current body of climate knowledge.

Scientific evidence -- Tough one. I'll say: "Theoretical or empirical observations that can be usefully compared to other empirical or theoretical observations for the purpose of supporting or refuting a hypothesis."

Scientific consensus -- General acceptance among scientists of the most likely answer to a given scientific question

Average global temperature -- Absolute time and spatially averaged temperature at some given altitude. Almost always referred to in context of a temperature change.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Can we use the terms reptilian , NWO , global communist conspiracy, AL GORE (capitalised) to define "scientific consensus"?

• 9 years ago

Dawei is one of the most knowledgeable participants in this category of the site. I'd go with his answers, except for these:

1) Climate skeptic: a sloppy term. Even in this nutbar-magnet site, I've never heard anyone express skepticism about the existence of climate. "Scientific skepticism about the theory of human-caused global climate change" was the (loose) scientific consensus until about the 1970s.

http://www.aip.org/history/climate/timeline.htm

http://www.aip.org/history/climate/co2.htm

2) Denier: someone who refuses to accept an obvious reality, or pretends that it does not exist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_denial

3) Average global temperature: I think is the average over all altitudes of the earth's surface, not standardized to one particular altitude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrumental_temperat...

• Rio
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Loosely:

1. et suppositito nil point in esse

2. "ditto"

3. extra omnes

4. excelsior

5. ex vulgus scientia

6. ego te provoco

7. entia non sunt multplicanda praeter necessitatem

8. esse quam videri

9. experto crede

10. expressio unius est exclusio alterius

11. experientia docet exempli gratia

12. ex vi termini supra

< What you didn't have to know Latin for bio? Strange indeed...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.