What is the name of this American military pilot film?

Hello, YEARS ago I saw a film, I believe American, where there is a military pilot who is forced to crash land in the sea. He floats around on his rubber boat for a while, and at one point thinks his hand has been taken off by a shark, but it's in his sleeve (cold). He soon arrives at an island, where he sees... show more Hello,
YEARS ago I saw a film, I believe American, where there is a military pilot who is forced to crash land in the sea. He floats around on his rubber boat for a while, and at one point thinks his hand has been taken off by a shark, but it's in his sleeve (cold). He soon arrives at an island, where he sees a mirage of a very busy beach-life, only to find the whole island is completely deserted. He meets a primate, who he soon befriends, and also discovers a submarine in the jungle. Then there is a tribe of natives, mainly female if I recall, who one he befriends, then something happens and they all chase him, and he gets rescued in a helicopter as they throw spears at him. That's all I can remember. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thank you!!!
Colm