DS
DS asked in SportsCycling · 8 years ago

Do you feel safer mountain biking or road biking?

Just wanted to get some people's opinions to see how others feel.

Personally I know I'm more likely to fall when I mountain bike because I do try to push it. However,I feel that I'm less likely to get seriously injured; unless of course I fall down a massive drop off the side of the trail. Obviously I tend to be more careful when I'm on a single track that has a sheer drop to one side.

Road biking I'm less likely to crash, but if I do the consequences are much more severe; pavement is not as soft as dirt. A crash at anything over 25mph could be really bad, especially if you fall on a fast descent where you're going even faster. Factor in the unpredictability of distracted drivers and the risk factor increases ten-fold.

I definitely feel safer when I mountain bike just because things are more in my control. Theres no crazy drivers to worry about and if you are riding a risky trail with steep drops then you can just play it safe and not push it.

So I just want to get some of your opinions on which you feel is safer.

Favorite Answer

Read what's on this link from cover to cover. You'll not only feel safer on the streets - you'll BE safer.

http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/index.htm

• Karen

The bike should respond quicker to steering input than a mountain bike, remember the wheels and tires mass much less than those on a mountain bike, so there is much less of a gyroscopic stabilizing effect from the spinning mass of the wheels. The gears should change just as fast as the ones on your mountain bike. Aluminum frames tend to transmit more noise than steel frames. If your old bike had a steel frame, gear changes might have been quieter, but your new bike should not hesitate to change gears unless something is not properly adjusted.

I feel way safer on a mountain bike, at least till I come across a rattlesnake or a steep sketchy downhill!

No off-road trails around. The streets. Read the link Hippie supplied.