Do you feel safer mountain biking or road biking?

Just wanted to get some people's opinions to see how others feel. Personally I know I'm more likely to fall when I mountain bike because I do try to push it. However,I feel that I'm less likely to get seriously injured; unless of course I fall down a massive drop off the side of the trail.... show more Just wanted to get some people's opinions to see how others feel.

Personally I know I'm more likely to fall when I mountain bike because I do try to push it. However,I feel that I'm less likely to get seriously injured; unless of course I fall down a massive drop off the side of the trail. Obviously I tend to be more careful when I'm on a single track that has a sheer drop to one side.

Road biking I'm less likely to crash, but if I do the consequences are much more severe; pavement is not as soft as dirt. A crash at anything over 25mph could be really bad, especially if you fall on a fast descent where you're going even faster. Factor in the unpredictability of distracted drivers and the risk factor increases ten-fold.

I definitely feel safer when I mountain bike just because things are more in my control. Theres no crazy drivers to worry about and if you are riding a risky trail with steep drops then you can just play it safe and not push it.

So I just want to get some of your opinions on which you feel is safer.