I'm a liberal studies major - I need advice?

First of all, I'm aware my BA in liberal studies is 100% useless and I'm only qualified for retarded jobs. I went this route in the first place because i wanted to be an elementary teacher and my university advisor insisted this is the preferred major for elementary teachers. I don't want to be a teacher anymore! Now I'm in trouble since it isn't good for much else.

I've already accepted that I will either need to go back for a Bachelors in something else or enter a Masters. I'm almost thinking it might be smarter to just get a bachelors in something else. What should I major in now? what major wouldn't take too much longer for me to get a degree in?

PE- I have a 3.6GPA but I'm also aware of the fact that i'm not smart enough to major in something like biomedical engineering technology. I struggled with the into physics and chem courses I had to take. I mean, I passed them with a "B", but I'm well aware I would struggle with the subject you're suggesting. Business, on the other hand, I'm considering. I can take it at my school, however, I need to take about 30units of pre-req courses THEN I can enter the MBA program, which is only 33units (so a total of 60 units) if I spend this much time in school, roughly three years.....then i would rather just go for speech pathology. although i hear that is a VERY competitive field so who knows if i would get in...my local university says they only accept 10% of applications for speech pathology with a 3.7 and great gre scores. yikes.

to the other person, I'm actually considering a masters in public administration. I can concentrate in data analyst. This pro

Coach: I have considered the MBA at my school. But it is a big commitment. I would need to take 33 units of pre-reqs before i can even enter the program. Then, once i enter it, it's an additional 33 units. So it's a big commitment on time and money.

I've also considered the MSW degree and a Masters in counseling, but BOTH degrees require 60units and they usually top out around 50k. That's a lot of time and money to be making so little. It almost makes me think i might be better starting entry level in a job that just requires a non-specific degree and working my way up. Maybe I should explore the options for masters programs at other universities. Hopefully I can find a good one that doesn't require too many pre-reqs. :) thank you for your advice. Even though we both know my degree is useless for a job, it was still nice of you to word your answer so nicely. Most people just keep bashing me at the mention of my degree. thanks again!

• CoachT
    Favorite Answer

The BA in Liberal Studies is indeed the preferred major for elementary school teachers. It's also really good for getting into law school, medical school (if you have the prereqs), and huge numbers of master's degree programs.

It's not "100% useless" though - it's the degree that most rich people prefer to get if they aren't doing business. It's just "useless" if what you need it for is a job qualification. It qualifies you not for "retarded jobs" but for jobs that you can only get if you're already well-placed.

Don't do another bachelor's major unless you need it to qualify for something very specific such as you want to get an MS in Physics. Otherwise go on and get a master's degree. There are several really good reasons:

1) there's no funding/financial aid for a second bachelor's degree.

2) master's degrees are worth more in the employment market.

3) a master's degree requires about 36 hours - a bachelor's major is 50-60 hours.

Whatever you pick next, make sure it specifically leads to a career path you'd like to follow. With a BA in Liberal Studies you already have all of the "general education" you'll be needing until you have a vocational qualifier.

You might consider an MBA as very useful in all fields of business. Or, an MA in Counseling with which you could go forth and warn young people about the need for specific vocational qualifiers if they'd like to be able to find a job. There are tons of others: MHA, MPH, MPA, MLIS, ...

Add: sometimes "been there, done that" is more helpful than "this guy's cousin's friend's sister I heard of once said..." I actually have a BSc in Liberal Arts. I also have two MA's (HR Development and Media Comms) and an MBA. It wasn't my BA in Music that got me into those master's programs. Yes, I have two bachelor's degrees - "been there, done that" too.

Counselors don't top at $50K. In very many specialties that's their starting pay. The median public school counselor is $57,800. Social Work is known to pay low. Also, 60 hours of master's work is not more than 60 hours in a bachelor's major except the master's work usually leads to better jobs. Aside from engineering and technology, business offers the most options these days.

Speech Pathology [and Pharmacy] are really good allied health options for people who have a liberal arts undergrad and can get in. An advantage in Speech Language is that you can enter private practice pretty easily while there are also plenty of open vacancies too. The income potential is pretty high. That one requires a supervised internship a lot of people forget to count in the time-to-degree.

Have you considered a masters degree in nursing? Many state accepted schools have a degree that is designed for people that got a bachelors in something else. This is most likely an accelerated program where you take all the classes, but you do it in a year or two. Then you take the RN licensing exam and you can get a good job after you get your license.

Another thing is a Pharm.D degree. Just finish the required classes for admission, while having good grades, maybe take the PCAT and apply. Once you graduate you just start working as a pharmacist. They earn good money.

Have you also tried looking for data entry jobs? I hear they could make a decent amount and get good benefits.

If your GPA is high enough, you can apply for a professional school.

If that's not possible, I have a specific suggestion: Go for a Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering Technology at DeVry. It's expensive, but you can get a lot of credit for your BA studies, and you might graduate with this second Bachelor's in two calendar years or less.

Another possibility is Oregon Institute of Technology's Bachelor's degree in Medical Imaging Technology — cheaper but you may not get as much credit or graduate as quickly.

Are you a sophomore or junior. I would recommend a business major or political science major. They are appealing enough for a non science person, but not too humanities-oriented.

I'm a political science major and I work as a budget analyst in government.