Seniors, what did you like best (or least) about the Grammy's on TV?

I don't have a TV but suddenly found the Grammy's were on and I was in front of a TV. I knew the Beach Boys were getting some kind of award, so that whole scene was fun, but not a total surprise. What were your reactions to the tributes to Whitney?

Also, were the new, young performers completely new to you, or had you heard them before? Were there any that you liked?

Who was that young lady wearing a floral print dress, looking very country-raised, with a sweet voice. (and lots of charisma in a subtle way)

and now I can say thanks for adding your details to the story of the Grammy's according to each of you. I loved your interpretations because it was like being invited into your homes and sitting down to watch and sharing our own commentaries. Maybe next time we should cover the fashions. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

• Kai
    Favorite Answer

The thin young lady was Taylor Swift. I've just read about her in Yahoo Entertainment and when she got insulted at last year's Grammy's by some rapper but I thought she was very pretty, very young and sang really good--it was nice seeing a young girl still looking like a young girl (instead of being made up to look like a much more mature female). I liked her "Mean" song. Yea, and most of the new acts I had never seen or heard of before but that ain't new, when I no longer had time to listen to the radio or listen to music after work I got disconnected (and this after a lifetime I swearing I'd never give up rock). I was kind of disappointed with Springsteen but I have been sort of disappointed with his music since Born in the USA (he lost his rebel spirit, went and became one of the huddled masses), miss his Born to Run attitudes. Was nice seeing the Beach Boys again but got sad because Carl and Dennis are so dead (to me, they were an integral part of what made the BB so great)--couldn't figure out who that skinny guy with the hat was standing near Mike Love either; the bands that did the tribute covers were pretty good (still can't remember who they were). Yea, and only heard of Adele earlier last night on 60 Minutes--that's how out of it I am these days. She has a great voice but I wonder if she can do softer, more wrenchingly emotional songs or if her only volume is "belt" (like Ethel Merman, Bonnie Tyler). But it makes you wonder if she hadn't lost her voice if so much would have been made over her, if so much would have come to her or if the awards would have been better distributed. Basically, watched the Grammys only because I couldn't find anything else to watch and thought it was high time I learned who all these music people are who my nieces and nephews rave about. Oh, I did like Bruno Mars--started dancing around the living room with him and am considering purchasing some of his/their music (can't figure out if that's the name of the band or the name of the guy who sang on tv). I thought LL Cool J did a really good job of hosting--cool and considerate, thoughtful, didn't focus on himself but on the nominees and music as a good host should. But considering all the music that's out today, if felt like not a whole lot of music was represented in the nominees nor in the winners--I've seen more music on Jay Leno.

• Dinah

I thought the production quality was top notch, though in places, overdone. Thought Cool J was right on the money, everything he did, elegant about Whitney. The sweet young thing with the banjo was a doll, Taylor Swift. Was very glad that the song the Beach Boys played was Good Vibrations. Very much liked Rhianna during her dance/sing performance yelling out WHITNEY, having read beforehand that Whitney had worked with her the day before, on her performance. Hadn't known that Glen Campbell has been diagnosed with Alzheimers. Especially sad watching him perform like it was still 1970, his artificial schtik. Only thing he ever did that got me was when I was when I was young enough to fall in love with Wichita Lineman. Springsteen was off key and so were some of his band. McCartney was missing a beat too. But bad sound engineers can be the cause of that, causing the singers not to hear well enough. Didn't know til reading the answers here that with Bonnie Raitt was Alicia Keys, who did that fabulous song You Gotta Be...Love Will Find a Way.

This Grammys presentation was in the same hotel where she drown four stories up, said one story, but I've never seen a hotel with that large an auditorium. I was doing laundry back and forth, and yes, there were young performers I'd never heard, that I wanted to hear, so I listened. Wasn't impressed by any. Can't believe Bruno Mars was liked as well as many here have said. I found him disgusting, in love with himself. Overall I enjoyed it and glad I put it on my calendar not to miss.

• Lady M

I liked Bruno Mars and Hudson's rendition of "I Will Always Love You". LL Cool J did very well as host. I think they did a brilliant job; with very short notice; of honoring Whitney Houston and still not allowing that tragic event to completely overshadow the others who were planned honorees. I was not particularly impressed with "The Boss". I missed the Beach Boys and Glen Campbell as I was switching back and forth between the Grammys and the British Movie Awards. In Britain, they gave Meryl Streep the honor of Best Actress in a Lead Role for her performance as Margaret Thatcher.

• I believe that was Taylor Swift (the country gal)

The only thing I did not like was when they show all of the young stuff at the beginning, they did not have any rhythms or they were tuneless..they did not sing with the music like they were off key or something..I did not like it when they had those band mixed in with The Beach Boys I would rather see them buy themselves..Paul McCartney was off too, did not sound to good, but I did like Springsteen at the first part of the show...This time I think they showed lots more music and less awards given..so overall I might watch it again next time..I am glad Adele won the most instead of LGG winning anything!!..=)

• Jodi D

I really like Adele's voice and her style, and I was elated that she won all six awards she was nominated for.

The tributes to Whitney Houston were fine with me. I haven't heard a more beautiful voice, and from what I've read, she was a very nice person.

I thought LL Cool Jay did a very good job as emcee. I wish he'd taken off his hat, though.

Several of the people/groups were unfamiliar to me.

I hated the Nicki Minaj routine that mocked the Church. And what was that number with all the people waving those lighted wands? Was that supposed to be music?

Paul McCartney wasn't at his best, but I enjoyed him anyway. I would have liked to see Bruce Springsteen, but I tuned in too late.

Bruno Mars was a pleasant surprise. I had heard of him, but never saw him perform...I thought he and his band were very entertaining. I thought the Whitney Houston tribute was appropriate and not overdone. The young lady was Taylor Swift. I also saw her as the musical guest on Saturday Night Live once...she also participated in a couple of skits and was VERY funny! She's multi-talented, and a class act.

• daisy

As usual, I had the TV on but not watching. But some of the music kept making me watch the singers. I really liked Alicia Keys and Bonnie Raitt doing a tribute to Etta James. But the one I really enjoyed best was young Taylor Swift doing a countrified tune with a banjo and a great backup group. She got a long standing ovation for it. Hudson did a great job in tribute to Houston at the end. Seeing McCartney perform was good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r-lrKe0NI0

Youtube thumbnail

I don't like Glen Campbell. What a jerk. He performed at a 6 Flags and stayed at the hotel down the road from ours and the lounge emplpyees said he was a sloppy, falling down drunk every day he stayed there. Bellboys had to scrape him off the floor and carry him to his room. The lounge wouldn't serve him, he staggered in that way when he ran out of booze in his room. Those were the years he was beating up on Tanya Tucker. Famous people do not impress me and I've seen hundreds of them up close and personal. Ugh.

• Lynn

I missed most of the show. But I did see the Red Carpet show. The couple where the woman wore

a billowy red dress with a cape or something around her head, and the 'bishop' in the Catholic robes

were garish and trying to scene still, it appeared to me. I had wanted to see the Beach Boys and

also the duo with Glen Campbell and a young country singer. I wondered if Glen would again appear

drunk or feeling no pain. And if the young singer would have to verbally carry him in their duet.

• Holly

From an old gal's point of view, I thought Bruno Mars was kinda cute. He should have gone home with a couple awards just for his strut-got a good voice too.

• DeeJay

I forgot they were on. I'm glad you asked about the Grammy's - at least I got filled in on how they were this year.

We watched Nottinghill - with Julia Roberts and High Grant.

I love that show. We watch it over and over.

DeeJay.