Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 8 years ago

What are the ethical issues behind stem cell research?

I believe that if there is a way to cure someone of an illness that is uncurable without stem cells, then the use of stem cells should be allowed.... but what exactly are the ethical issues of saving a person using stem cells? Do people want sick people to suffer or something?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Stem cells have been used to treat illnesses such as leukemia for years, in the form of bone marrow transplants. Many lives, particularly those of children have been saved by this procedure. I doubt that you would find many people who are opposed to this, except perhaps those who belong to extreme fundamentalist religions, or cults, and believe that any kind of transplant (or even a blood transfusion) goes against the will of God.

The controversy over stem cell treatment comes from the use of embryonic stem cells. (Which are taken from a human embryo that is fifteen days old, effectively destroying the embryo.) Whether someone is for against the use of these cells generally comes down to whether they consider the embryo to be a human life. Some argue that at this stage, the embryo is simply a bunch of cells, and therefore, it is okay to use them in any way shape or form, particular if there is a good or noble intention behind it, such as saving many human lives and easing suffering.

Other people consider an embryo to be a human life form from the very moment that it is created. For them, to do anything with that embryo other than plant it inside the womb is abhorrent. The argument is that one human life should not be given a higher value than another. It is not so much about saying that they want the sick to suffer, but that it is morally and ethically wrong to create a life purely for the purposes of saving another.

Source(s): Can't believe I just answered one of your questions seriously.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.