A few questions about being a foreign exchange student?

Hi guys, I just wanted to ask a few questions about heading to the USA as an exchange student for a year.

Currently I'm a 18 year old Software Engineering student from Scotland, and I've been selected for an exchange program this year.

Basically I'll be a foreign exchange in Clemson University, South Carolina for a year from August 2012 to July 2013.

While a few American friends of mine have given me some advice about the US, I fancied gaining some more opinions.

How easy would it be for me to make friends/meet people?

I've never been to the USA, so I have to ask, how would college students find me? Would I be treated differently because I'm Scottish, not American?

Would people judge me based on my major?

I'll be in CS classes for a year but that doesn't mean I'm a super-nerd or anything like that. I'm huge on my sports an athletics and played American Football for a D1 team back here in Scotland. Despite this, would people assume I'm a geek because of my major?

Finally, how are American girls compared to British girls?

I've heard American girls are more outgoing than girls from the UK, how might they find me?

Weird questions I know, but some opinions would help me a lot :)

-Thanks!

• Ryan H
    Best Answer

> How easy would it be for me to make friends/meet people?

Very easy. Clemson is a very friendly place, both on-campus and off-campus. Just put yourself out there. If you're unsure, follow the lead of your roommates/dormmates.

> I've never been to the USA, so I have to ask, how would college students find me?

Well, you have to get out into the community...there are lots of opportunities for cultural events, concerts, parties, even just socializing at the downtown restaurants and hang-out spots. If you're 21 you can hit the bars, of course. (Some of them let you in if you're underage; most of them don't.) There's always something going on at campus. If you're living on campus (which i HIGHLY recommend if you're only going to be there a year) then your roommates and the people in your dorm will be easy opportunities for friends and social networks. Your classmates will also be great social contacts too (hanging out after/between classes, forming study groups, etc). Finally Clemson is very sports-oriented, especially (American) football which is THE sport at Clemson, but we love all our sports (including soccer). Go to as many sporting events as you can. Football games are practically a religious experience for us.

> Would I be treated differently because I'm Scottish, not American?

Every person you talk to will ask where you're from and to keep talking so they can hear your accent. Americans LOVE Scottish accents--though if yours is particularly strong you might be hard to understand (I find Scottish to be one of the more difficult accents from the British Isles to understand) so be conscious of that and slow down your speech when necessary. Accents are a guaranteed conversation starter with women, too. Other than that, I don't think you'll be treated any differently.

> Would people judge me based on my major? I'll be in CS classes for a year but that doesn't mean I'm a super-nerd or anything like that. I'm huge on my sports an athletics and played American Football for a D1 team back here in Scotland. Despite this, would people assume I'm a geek because of my major?

Not at Clemson. Practically every other student is in engineering or science, and some of the hardest partiers I knew at Clemson were computer science and engineering majors. (I was a computer science major also, incidentally.)

> Finally, how are American girls compared to British girls?

HOT, especially Clemson girls. The ladies at Clemson are awesome. Absolutely awesome. Do yourself a favor and on the first warm Spring day of your year there, grab a pair of sunglasses and take a nice slow stroll across Bowman Field. The place will be covered with sunbathing beauties. That was always one of my favorite days of the year. :)

> I've heard American girls are more outgoing than girls from the UK, how might they find me?

I can't really answer that fairly because I don't know how outgoing UK women are. But in general I think Clemson women are very friendly and more than happy to get to know someone, especially someone with an exotic accent.

Best of luck! I hope it's a great experience. Clemson was hands down the best 4 years of my life. I miss it every day.

Source(s): Clemson alumnus