Joshua asked in SportsMartial Arts · 8 years ago

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu vs Tae-Kwon-Do?

I'm thinking about getting into BJJ, because my school's wrestling season is over now, but my friend, who does 4 martial arts, says TKD is more practical. I've seen videos on Youtube, and it seems to me that TKD is much more flashy and a lot less practical than BJJ. Now, I'm not saying

"Oh, TKD sux."

I just want to know which is the more practical martial art to get into.

Also, on a side note, who do you think would win in a fight? A BJJ blackbelt or TKD blackbelt?

Leave Luck to Heaven

Personally, I like ground work and grappling better than hitting people.

Probably because i do high school wrestling.

Favorite Answer

Hmm a tricky question. I think it depends on what you want. Bjj is ground fighting with limited to no stand up, and Taekwondo, can be a traditional martial art that is focused on self defense, or it can be a sport.

For practical application in a self defense situation, I would go with Taekwondo. Taekwondo has a lot of depth to it, and its not all flashy. You learn how to defend yourself standing.

Jiu jitsu is good. I train in it. But its not always applicable in a fight. What if you cant take it to the ground? What if there are more then one attackers? You would be screwed.

A bjj black belt vs a taekwondo black belt? I'd say who ever imposes their will on the other in their area of expertise wins. If the bjj guy gets it to the ground he has the advantage. As long as the fight is on the feet the TKD guy should win.

Edit: I know what you mean. I wrestled in highschool for three years (Varsity) and It really helps you in Jiu jitsu. I must admit striking was kind of awkward to me at first, but with practice it became better. I suggest you should try jiu jitsu. I just said what I would do. But it sounds like jiu jitsu will be your cup of tea.

Source(s): 2nd dan kenpo renzoku jiu jitsu

Hey man. Why not just try out both? Haha. I've been attending many different classes of many different styles for a long time and it's honestly best to have a well rounded game. Since the popularity of mma has grown there's not many fighters who don't know a little bjj and tkd. Check out some muay Thai also! MT has some pretty legit stand up stuff.

Out of the two id say go with the bjj for now man. Its really awesome and most of the time at bjj schools you'll come across guys who train in other styles anyways. Learn from them. Either way martial arts are a good thing to have in your life man. Good luck!

Source(s): Im 23 and have been in martial arts since 8 years old. Cheers bud!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu vs Tae-Kwon-Do?

I'm thinking about getting into BJJ, because my school's wrestling season is over now, but my friend, who does 4 martial arts, says TKD is more practical. I've seen videos on Youtube, and it seems to me that TKD is much more flashy and a lot less practical than BJJ. Now, I'm not...

Source(s): brazilian jiu jitsu tae kwon do: https://biturl.im/X3mJr

Years ago when Bruce Lee came onto the scene one of the knocks against him was that what he was advocating and teaching was not traditional martial arts. While many of the techniques were his approach and philosophy about the use of them was new, unorthodox, and not readily accepted by many "traditional" mucky-mucks. Forty some years later his teachings and approach are now more widely embraced by most except for the most hard core traditionalists and there is not near the negativism about him that there once was among that group. What is new and may not be readily embraced or accepted today will not always remain so tomorrow. To me if a person studies and largely follows the approaches and philosophy's of a traditional martial art then they are a traditional martial artist. It could be a traditional Philippine or Indonesian style but to me traditional martial arts are ones that have a history to them and that are also closely associated with the culture, traditions, and way of life and it's people. At the same time it is possible to be both I think for people like yourself who come from and have an established background in traditional martial arts. MMA does not bring some of these things to the table. However many of the people now taking up MMA have never studied a traditional martial art or set foot in a traditional school and never will. I hardly look at or consider them in the same light as someone like yourself that has a background in traditional martial arts and to me they are just mixed martial artists. Forty or fifty years from now that thought might be overtaken by time and the general thinking and consensus of the martial arts public but for now they are separate to many or most I think.

First of all, Gi wearing Brazilian jiu jutsu that incorporates weapons into teaches, such as gracie jiu jutsu is the best for self defense. Tae-kwon-do guy will not win at all, it will be very rare 1 in a million chance he lands a punch and knocks jiu jutsu guy out. Most likely he is going to get clinched, get taken down, and submitted.

Second when you say practical do you mean easier to learn? or easier to use in self defense. The biggest thing about self defense is weapons, do they teach me to handle not getting killed by stabbing, or getting shot. Then after that, grappling succeeds, If you learn Brazilian jiu jutsu, you can in a street fight beat up professional boxers, grab them take them down, their supreme punching skills will be for naught. So in street fight Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

it depends do you like grappling or sranding? I personally perfer grappling because 98% of fights end up on the ground. If i ever happen to get in a fight i could flip him to the ground, control him, and possible put him to sleep if needed be. if you can take both then i would do TWD during your school year and BJJ during the summer. My Brazilian Jiu Jitsu coach teaches us like 90% grappling 5% takedowns and 5% striking and kicks. But it's completely up to you.

Source(s): Blue belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

The premise of TKD is let's make the flashiest striking style we can think of. Let's ban striking to the head and give tons of points for strikes to the head. The result, is all sort of hopping spinning back to back kicks. TKD fighters often fall over on their own during sparring.

It's a sport. A BJJ blue belt would beat the majority TKD black belts.

you cant really have a best martial art, nor can you make comparisons between the two because it depends on the person. for example, if the bjj guy is way better at his game than the tkd guy is at his, chances are pretty good the tkd guy will get taken down and submitted. but it also goes the other way.

if the tkd guy is better at his game than the bjj guy is at his, the tkd guy will have the bjj guy knocked out before he can touch him.

but problem with TKD nowdays is that there have been alot of these things called "mcdojangs" put out there. specificly the ATA taekwondo organization. it is litterally a chain of taekwondo schools, the equivalent to a mcdonalds in the resturant industry.

no quality and just in it for the money.

if you are looking for practical tkd, it is 100% up to the instructer weather he wants his students to learn practical marerial or not. WTF taekwondo is the olympic style taekwondo (no face contact with punches, no throws, no takedowns, elbows, or knees) obviously not practical, right? BUT,

if your WTF taekwondo instructer doesnt give a rats *** about the olympics, then you will be learning material simmalar to that of ITF (traditonal) taekwon-do, which i will talk about in a minute. if you have a good instructer, you will be learning elbows, knees, punches (face as well), kicks, joint locks, throws, and takedowns. weapon defense (guns knives and bats) and depending on the school, the instructers will sometimes have a blackbelt in hapkido or BJJ (like my TKD master does). they will incorperate the grappling into classes or have a totally different class for bjj. I got lucky so i get to do both all the time.

i talked about WTF tkd so this is what ITF tkd is: it is the traditional kind of tkd, used for the korean military. it includes punches, kicks, elbows, knees, joint locks, takedowns, takedown defense, standing submissinos, and weapon defense. but once again it depends on the instructer. WTF and ITF tkd can be very simmilar depending on who is teaching it.

ok now bjj.

bjj is awesome for one on one encounters. not so much when you are getting mugged. when you have 3 or four guys coming after you with weapons trying to attack you, you can have one of them in an armbar while the other beats you over the head with a golf club. so this is where i suggest to you that you not rely on bjj for self defense. you cannot handle three or four guys on the ground alone unless you are superman.

as for who would win a fight between two blackbelts, like i said, it is impossible to know. they are two tottaly different people. each have different strong and weak points, and one may be more mentaly and physicly stronger than the other.

PS. im sure what you saw online was WTF tkd. go on youtube and look up ITF tkd sparring and you will see the difference. and well taught tkd is not flashy, at least it shouldnt be

Source(s): 6 years of taekwondo and BJJ

Neither is better. Neither style would ensure victory against the other. BJJ will be more similar to your wrestling background than TKD will be. The flashy stuff you see from TKD is way too far away for you to even worry about.

So pick something sort of similar or completely different, it's that easy.

@Alex - wow, big talk, big numbers, what about facts or studies or a basis for anything you are saying, or is that not important. Widely considered unrealistic - by whom? Black to black 99% - any relavent statistics to back this wild accusation? or about the black to blue 98%. You might as well just said, I do this and I think its the best. At least that would be a more truthful answer.

I think the art doesn't matter, the fighter does. For instance, A bjj Black belt could takedown a TKD black belt, but A TKD black belt could just as easily Axe Kick the BJJ guy's face in or punch the BJJ black belt's lights out.

Your goal, in terms of practicality, should lie in finding a suitable teacher rather than a suitable art. Both can be good or bad, it depends on who the practitioner is.

Also, you should do what you like. If you like grappling, do BJJ. If you like it, you'll get more out of it anyways.