Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomOther - United Kingdom · 8 years ago

How can I get to the Scilly Isles from anywhere in the North of France in Summer 2012?

I am planning an amazing summer where I plan to backpack from the south of France all the way up to South West England. I really want to spend dome time on the Scilly Isles before hitting mainland UK, but I can not seem to find anyway of getting from France to scilly isles. I would feel silly getting to the south coast of England and then going back down to Scilly.

My only rules are that I do not want to fly. Also, I am on a tight budget.

Any ideas????

Favorite Answer

Granville is one port I believe you can go from to the Scillies

I don't believe there are any commercial passages (non air) between France and Scilly Isles but Roy above may be correct.

You say you're coming up from the south of France so I would suggest trying to hitch a ride. It's just a case of trawling the ports looking for a skipper that will maybe let you work your passage. Try from Brest first then Roscoff then St Malo etc. You're probably looking at 100 miles or so from Brest. So easily a two day sail. Starting in Brest you're moving slowly toward the UK but sailing distances get longer.

Let's suppose you can't find a boat to hitch across to the Scilly Isles on. You say you "would feel silly" by backtracking if you have to use a normal ferry service from France to England ? In that case I suggest you make yourself feel silly. I haven't got time here to explain what you would be missing but I STRONGLY suggest you backtrack if need be.

I've seen a little bit of the world and was blown away with the beauty of the Isles of Scilly. Well worth the effort and I'm sure you'll be glad to feel silly bactracking.

Have a great trip and hope you manage to hitch a boat across.

Source(s): Travelled 30 + countries. Hitch hiked on boats..

Get a ferry to the most western point in England they go to. I believe this is Plymouth. From Plymouth catch a First Great Western train to Penzance (Cornwall) and then a boat to the Scilly Isles www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk

www.simplyscilly.co.uk

Looks like you can only get there from Penzance. Looks as if it will cost around £42.50 single.