I can't draw my 70lbs draw compound bow?

Okay so I just bought a pse stinger 3g and I cannot pull the damn string back. I'm 6foot tall and quite muscular for an 18 year old and I've seen scrawny little kids do this. Is there any sort of safety switch on compound bows or is there some sort of trick to pulling the string back that I just don't know? (this is my first bow. Oh and don't worry I'm not going to dry fire, I just wanted to pull the string back and I found out that I couldn't)

1: The bow came with no instructions

2: In terms of my strength I am quite strong for my age and I go to the gym frequently. Pretty sure thats not the problem.

• dumdum
    Favorite Answer

Well, you have a good bow that has gotten rave reviews. And the bow is available in 50, 60, and 70 lb draw weights and you can drop it down 10 lbs if you wish, if it is like other bows on the market. For instance the 70 lb bow can be dropped down to 60 lbs.

But you are wrong in your assumption that your strength is not the problem. A bow requires the use of an entirely different set of muscle groups that are not developed by workouts.

A couple of years ago I was in a bow shop testing out a bow. A scrawny 18 year old picked up a bow and pulled it back like a rubber band. It was set at 70 lbs. The boy had been shooting bows for some time.

Another customer, a muscled up weight lifter was also interested in the bow, but had never shot one before. He picked up the same bow and attempted to pull it back. His muscles were bulging, his face got beet red, and by now everyone was looking at him...so he even put more effort into it. Finally he just had to put it down and give up. He looked at everyone and said," man, that's the most embarrassing moment I have ever had"

That event emphasized the point about the different muscle groups at play. Take the bow to a bow shop, get them to set it at it's lowest setting and you can start out shooting at that point. As you practice, it will become easier and easier, and you can increase the poundage by about 2 lbs at a time until you at at where you want to be at.

• 04fordexp6 years agoReport

so full of it...there are no different muscles involved. Take it to a bow shop....70lbs is a ton for anyone to pull.

Hey Jack B. I don't mean to put you down or anything, but you are just like every dolt out there that thinks that a 70lb bow is SO COOL!!!! Heck I back bench 150lbs a 70lb bow would be a snap right??

WRONG!! Look I have been shooting both coumpound, recurves and longbows for years, and the average guy can shoot a 45-50lb bow comfortably, and can kill just about anything. Only the top pros shoot 70lbs accuratley! Besides, since you have never shot a bow, those muscles are very weak. I woul go to an archery shop and have them reduce the pull to about 45-50, and even then you will have to work your way up to that. Oh and one last word of advice. MAKE SURE THAT YOU BUY THE RIGHT ARROWS FOR THE WEIGHT THAT YOU WILL BE USING. Otherwise you will not hit anything right.

I am 19, have been an archer for a good 7 years, but did not really start decent training until the last year or so. I think for the many people that ask the same question, as you, I may have useful insight. I first started drawing with 15 lb. bows, because for many years all my bows were homemade, and the first ones were made of thin pvc. I gradually increased the strength of my homemade bows, to 80 lbs. This took a few years, and I was able to keep up with this difficulty gradient. I did not start with strong bows at first, really because I did not have any... But I think this is really essential to developing good skill and strength as an archer. Now, I can draw well over 100 lbs, though I admit with great effort. I do not body build, or go to a gym. I don't eat a lot of protein, or really fit the regime of a typical athlete. Archery is a way of life, by itself. You really need to train in archery, with a gradual (if you are 18, I suggest starting with 40 lbs.) curve. This does not mean you are not strong already... But you are not a strong archer, which requires a great deal of training, both in technique and physical development. It is really vain that many people think body building makes them sufficiently fit for these kinds of arts. You need to train by drawing a bow, developing your form... Somewhat like a masculine dance, not exactly like lifting dumbells. Last notes: Many people face the same problem when they begin archery :), and If you are interested in archery training, there are many master archers that demonstrate via internet video. I frequently perform archery on my youtube channel: Legionlong. I recommend this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rms2okrSvc

Youtube thumbnail

P.S. Archery is a martial art, it requires some devotion:)

Are you sure it's a crossbow, that's a very low poundage for a crossbow. And I'm not aware that bear makes crossbows. If it's a compound bow, then you need to turn the limb bolts, this is the bolt sitting where the limb touches the riser. Turn it counter clockwise, but be very careful not to turn too much, the bolt is not captive and it will explode on you if you turn too much. Best case scenario when that happens is you end up breaking your bow, worst case scenario, you end up with the limb through your eye socket.

You will need to make use of weeks as well as decades on working out the drawing techniques. But today you do not have to spend that measure of time to obtain these aptitudes because you can have this unique information Realistic Pencil Portrait Mastery from here https://tr.im/hVCCm .

Realistic Pencil Portrait Mastery is such as a defeat outline minds you to the specialist degree of realistic pen symbol pulling just inside several months.

Realistic Pencil Portrait Mastery comes with 5 eBook instructions and 5 process routes: How To Draw A Realistic Eye, How To Draw A Realistic Nose, How To Draw Realistic Mouth And Teeth, How To Draw A Realistic Ear and How To Draw Realistic Hair.

With Realistic Pencil Portrait Mastery guide you will also obtain 100 high-resolution reference pictures (70 head photographs, 30 skin function close-ups) in 12 weeks of exercises.

• Erika

Pse Stinger Bow

You need good form and there are no safety switches. Pulling a bow back requires shoulder muscles like the trapeziums and rhomboids that take a long time to develop. The only way is to shoot lighter bows and work your way up. You won't see any results any time soon

I believe that your bow is adjustable down to 45lbs. Practice will make it much easier to draw, don't worry too much at 18 you're just starting to build muscle. Bow hunting takes lots of practice but is very rewarding when you take your first game. Enjoy

It sounds like you need to take it to a bow shop & have it adjusted.

You sound new to archery, so I wouldn't do anything with the bow yourself. Have a pro do it. A bow shop can also measure your draw length and set that on the bow, too.

hi there

where the limbs attacch to the riser you will see the 2 big adjuster bolt with the appropriate allen wrench turn these back 5 full turns, this should get your bow to roughly 55 lbs, do the turning evenly each turn will take off about 3 lbs.the mussels used for pulling a bow are not used much in dayly life work and need to be strenghtend you should be able to handle 55 lbs and as your mussels strenghten you adjust up to where you are comfortable, have fun shoot safe.

Source(s): archer