Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Recommendations for HD ammo for .45 ACP?

I have 200 each of the GD, GS & Win - based on what was on sale. I'd like to buy another 300-400 more.

What would you recommend for HD ammo for .45 ACP 1911 Pistol?

I am open to different bullet weight as long as it makes sense.

Range 7-25 yards.

Thanks!

=========

Speer Gold Dot Ammunition 45 ACP 230 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point

Ballistics Information:

Muzzle Velocity: 890 fps

Muzzle Energy: 405 ft. lbs.

Remington Golden Saber Ammunition 45 ACP 230 Grain Brass Jacketed Hollow Point Box

Ballistics Information:

Muzzle velocity: 875 fps

Muzzle energy: 391 ft/lb

Winchester USA Ammunition 45 ACP 230 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point

Ballistics Information:

Muzzle Velocity: 880 fps

Muzzle Energy: 396 ft. lbs.

Favorite Answer

I would go with Golden Saber if you're set on one of those three, although it's probably splitting hairs as long as all 3 function properly in your firearm.

Another brand you might like to try is Winchester Ranger T (230 gr, JHP). I've heard a lot of law enforcement carry that and that it is quite effective in real situations. The T-series has a special tapered jacket that helps penetrate barriers and still expand reliably. It's also what I keep in my 1911's, but I only have paper target and watermelon-based evidence of it's effectiveness.

Source(s): General shooting knowledge and whatnot

Im a big fan of the Winchester Ranger T series 230gr. Not only is it the only hollow point ive tried that works perfectly in my 1911, it has the best reviews ive came across.

Here is a vid where my friend tests the Rangers by shooting into a row of water jugs, using my RIA Tactical and Coastal Ultima silencer. It goes through the first three jugs, stopping in the fourth. It expands out to almost a full inch.

I have personal experience with both the Winchester and Remington standard 230gr. JHP's, which both expand very well.

I would give the nod to the Golden Sabre that you list above, as it has a very excellent street reputation in real shootings.

The top Dog for the .45 ACP is the Federal Hydrashock 230gr. JHP, with 94% one shot stops. These other loads are only going to vary a few percentage points lower.