Should we start Taxing Lobbies?

Lobbyists don't promote democracy, and I cannot think of a single good thing that it has given us. Would there be any downside to taxing lobbies? I know it's rather unrealistic to have such a tax passed but would it be for good or for worse?

Guys, the tax would apply to unions too.... This isn't a partisan issue. And I'm just sayin, there are many companies that pay more in lobbies than they do in taxes.

Best Answer

Lobbyists.... hmmmm... One downside is that it would be unconstitutional to tax them.

Don't promote democracy? Not a single good thing? Dare I say you have a very slanted view of lobbying. I, on the other hand, have a realistic view.

1. Lobbying is a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT (Amendment #1)

2. What "good" or "bad" comes from lobbying depends upon whose ox is being gored.

Now, please refer to the link below for a complete list of REGISTERED lobbyists of the US government. Just a brief glance down this list shows some fairly "NICE" lobby groups that should make libbies just CREAM with delight... such as (just taking ONE listing from each letter of the alphabet):

AIDS Action Council

Born Free USA

Center for Science in the Public Interest

Defenders of Wildlife

Earth Island Institute

Farm Animal Rights Movement

Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders (GLAD)

Hispanas Organized for Political Equity

International Task Force on Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide

Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies

The Keystone Center

Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund, Inc.

Marijuana Policy Project

National Network for Immigrant and Refugee Rights

Ocean Conservancy

People for the American Way

Rainforest Action Network

Socialist Labor Party of America

Trust for Public Land

Union of Concerned Scientists

Violence Policy Center

Workers World Party

Zero Population Group see Population Connection

Now... you tell me... do you want THESE organizations to be taxed or THEIR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to LOBBY Congress taken from them???

<wyomugs steps off her soapbox... "I rest my case.">

“POLITICAL CORRECTNESS is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the CLEAN END.” --- Former US Senator from Wyoming, Alan K. Simpson

Republican since before she was born… and PROUD of it.

comparing unions and lobbies is like comparing apples to oranges

lobbies work for unions the same way they work for corporations

and yes tax all lobbyist organizations 99 percent. that will get them to stop and any politician who votes against that will be seen as corrupt

We should just nationalize wall street and end the confusion as to where the government stands, already.

Unions also!