i twisted my ankle 3 days ago and it is still swollen, help?

so i twisted it in basketball and when i did, there was this popping sound and i had to limp off the court because my foot was sorta numb. i have not visited the doctor but after i red it up on the bench, i went back in the game to finish the quarter. afterwards, i went to walgreens to buy the ace ankle brace that ties up and has rubbery ankle supports on the sides. it was fairly swollen that night but the next morning it doubled in swolleness (if that is even a word). the swollen part is sort of like yellowish greenish bruised kinda color.

i haven't seen a doctor because i'm used to getting sprains and stuff but it hasn't ever been swollen for this long and having discoloration like this. do you know what might be wrong with it?

sorry, i didn't mean "red it up on the bench" i meant "iced it up on the bench"

Favorite Answer

You have most definately sprained your ankle. The explanation of swelling and bruising and pop sounds indicates ligament damage possible torn or slight tear of the ligament. Keep icing your ankle and use compression bandages to reduce swelling. If ligent damaged occured you will notice more instability in your ankle a future re-injury is highly probable.

Source(s): Sprain specialist

I badly sprained my ankle about 3 weeks ago. I was in a hurry going down the stairs, lost my balance and landed on a bad side of my left foot, causing my left ankle to be stretched going on the inside. The first 48 hours were excruciating and the pain was un-believable. I've never had a serious ankle injury before.

So I immediately treated it using the RICE method. The following day, the bruising and swelling were so horrible. I found out that I got a second degree sprain and immediately panicked after that. I had a football game on that week and it been looking forward to it because I've been training for rt. I had teammates that had similar injuries and it took them months to fully recover, some of them stopped playing altogether. So I kinda had a short-term depression because I can't imagine myself not being able to run and play sports anymore.

Because I was so desperate to recover again, I contacted a lot of people that I know who do sports and asked them if they had similar injuries. One friend of mine, from the boy's football team in my university, told me about H.E.M. Ankle Rehab. I got a copy 4 days after I got injured. I immediately read and followed what was instructed and felt improvement on the first day. I was able to walk a bit, but I was in pain.

A couple of days after that, the swelling and bruising were subsid-ing significantly and on the fourth day, I was walking comfortably again. Although I've had felt a bit of stiffness, I continued doing what was instructed. My sister was surprised that I have recovered this fast. I told her about this book and was shocked on how effective the procedures were. I'm just so happy that this book was shared to me and how effective it is.

Heal your ankle fully & fast?

Ankle sprains can be treated with the RICE method

R - Rest

I - Ice

C - Compression

E - Elevation

The method of injury and brusing you describe could be a sprain. If the swelling doesn't start reducing then see your doctor.

It's very possible that you broke it or badly sprained it I would recomend you go to the doctors to get an x-ray or an MRI. Until then keep it elevated, if possible go get crutches if it hurts to walk on it. Once I thought I just pulled a ligament in my ankle but turns out its broken. If you do get crutches put extra padding on it to prevent chaffing. Hope it helps ;)

Source(s): Experience

comparable element occurred to me it became into so undesirable I couldnt stroll and had to be in a wheel chair, this facilitates for the swelling and purely approximately straight away made it extra advantageous. Get a bowl or bucket of very almost boiling warm water and mis it with salt placed your foot in there to sit down down back for no less than an hour. The extra circumstances you do it the faster it is going to heal :) maximum suitable desires

Go to the doctor.

Source(s): experience