In a Dilemma.... SSD or Mechanical Keyboard.....?

This is just a simple question, although many people I can already tell will say ssd... But money is an issue and I can't just easily get both at once.... here I'll make a list of the pros and cons for me.

Pros for a ssd

-fast

-reliable

-5 year warranty

-amazing

Cons for ssd

-Expensive (If I get a ssd I will get a Intel 520 no doubt about it).

-Will be a hassle to transfer a lot of stuff to the ssd

Pros for mechanical keyboard (Razer Blackwidow Ultimate)

-Great for typing/gaming

-wired, which means I don't need to use this cheap keyboard anymore

-mechanical feels amazing

Cons for keyboard

-Semi-Expensive

-I won't be able to get the ssd in a while

Anyways if you read this list which one should I get first? The SSD that I would get is the Intel 520 120gb ($234.98)... Or the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate ($129.99)... Does the Pros of the SSD outweigh the keyboard? I've never had an ssd and I don't actually know 'how good' it really is I just seen the benchmarks... If I get an ssd first, should I wait for windows 8 to come out? If I get the ssd it will take a while to get the keyboard after... If I buy the keyboard first, I will be able to get the ssd more sooner... Just somethings that's on my mind and I'd like to know your guys' opinions

• dik b
    Best Answer

IME SSD are of questionable value due to 2 of the things you list as 'pros'.

1.Speed only counts in loading and applications starting times. For most users the HDD are fine and are undetectable in everyday use.

2.Reliability is a subset of usage scenario, i.e. if you use something like ED2K client daily with multiple small reads and writes per minute, you will be better off with an HDD due to the extra disk maintenance. If all you do is game or transcode video with minimal writes to storage, an SSD will do as well as an HDD.

Here is a guide to mechanical keyboards with much info than most will need:

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keybo...

Of course, these too are still available, and they feel great!

http://pckeyboard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=...

Good luck.

Source(s): 10+ years building systems.
  • illig

some human beings love 'em and some hate them. i have been wavering about it myself for a at the same time as. once you've a Fry's (or different respectable laptop save) close by you should bypass try one for your self. Or get one from Amazon - they have pretty consumer-friendly returns. BTW, the Cherry blues make noise, the Cherry blacks do no longer. Corsair will be a sturdy mechanical keyboard to look at, or the Thermaltake Meka G1.

ssd just boost the game perfomance 5-10%, choose the keyboard, i had one too

If we are talking about a protable SSD get it. We have had normal hdds and they just break

A keyboard is dirt cheap.