Dan asked in SportsFootball (American) · 8 years ago

Quarterback Position?

Before I start let me give you alittle background information, I'm currently a sophomore, I've played baseball ever since I was 3 and just this past year I lost the love for the game. I was burned out of playing and the coach of my highschool was a(lets just say we don't get along that well.)

Now, I'm looking into playing football, I've never played football in my life except with friends, you know the occasional game. My school doesn't really have a solid quarterback and I was thinking that I should try for that spot. I was a pitcher in baseball so I have a strong arm, run the 40 in 4.6, 5'11 and weigh 155lb. My question is how hard is learning the quarterback position? Any info/tips would be great!

Favorite Answer

I highly encourage you to join your high school football team next season. It will still not (yet) be too late for you to start playing football.

Based on your height and weight, as well as your strong arm, I believe that your will make a very good fit at quarterback. You have the ideal size for a high school quarterback.

What you need to do this (and every) offseason is eat healthy, and exercise by doing a lot of running every day. Personally, I recommend a calorie intake of 1800-2200, as well as at least one hour of running, per day. if you do these two things, you will get faster, stronger, and into better shape, which will greatly improve your chances of becoming a successful quarterback in high school football.

The most important attribute a quarterback needs is a good work ethic. Although the quarterback position can be the most difficult to learn, with a good work ethic, you can learn and develop yourself into a successful high school quarterback.

There are a bunch of ways you could learn how to play quarterback. First of all, there are DVDs that you could watch to throw the football right. You could join a summer camp and learn how to throw perfectly. You could get a private coach to help you throw the football. When ever you have spare time, throw a football with someone and work on that spiral! Every time you play with friends be the quarterback. Just work hard and you will do really good. Try to learn some cool plays to impress the coach, and if they're really good, they might use them. You don't have to create the plays yourself, just Google some, but make sure you give whoever made them credit! It would have been better if you started at a younger age so you had more time to practice, but you either have to do it now or never. Make sure you work hard and have fun and you might make it! Once you try out, if you don't make it, then don't give up! Keep practicing for next year and you'll probably be better! If you make back up, then keep practicing. Please try these, and look up how Brady and Eli got so good.

P.S. Work hard, but don't go overboard and hurt yourself.

Source(s): I've worked hard to get a position in a sport before, and doing all these things worked.

I am smarter than this jeff kid, and first thing you have to do is start working on accuracy. In baseball the catcher is not moving. But in football the receiver is running full speed. So you have to learn to lead your guy so he can make the catch in stride to get the ball. You have the experience with power so that will help you. Most great quarterbacks in history are elusive and can avoid tackles from 300 pound linemen. You can work on this by having friends who are linemen come at you and rush you to throw or scramble. It will take a lot of time and experience to have a great quarterback I.Q. on weather what to do each down. The only way to improve is dedication and practice.

P.S. if you're a high school quarterback you have to be good with the babes.

Source(s): I am better than Tebow. I know that is not that good at all, but I'm only 13.

It's a lot of work. You have to be a leader. You have to know not only what you need to do on every play but what the other members of the offensive should be doing. I would get with the coach and see what options are available and what you need to do to be the best wherever you play. Good luck....

It's a lot of hard work. Think of it like this: do you know why QBs are seen as the most important positions? Because they are. If you wanna be a QB, you'll need to focus on lots of things. You'll need to be the team leader. You'll need to be "clutch" when it comes down to win-or-lose situations, instead of breaking down under the pressure. You have to be accurate, great with decision making, a fast learner. you'll need to understand defenses, how to read defenses, how to manipulate defenses. You're basically gonna have to be almost perfect if you wanna become a great QB.