Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 9 years ago

What is the best ancestry DNA test?

I want to complete an ancestry dna test to see my ancestry but I don't know what test to use. I have considered ancesrty.com and familytreedna. What are the best ones tests?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The best one is the one where other members of your extended family have already taken the test. And, you don't use blood, you use saliva. This is why a Surname DNA Project can provide you with the most accurate information, plus it is often lower in cost.

First, companies greatly exaggerate the amount of information you will receive. DNA testing has its place but it will only show you very limited ancestry.

There are basically three kinds of Genealogy DNA tests:

Y-DNA - can only be taken by a male and only shows the father line. Your father, his father, his father and so on. No wives at all. That means out of 8 great grandparents, you get information on only one.

MT-DNA - can be taken by either men or women, but only shows the mother line. Your mother, her mother, her mother and so on. Plus the mutation is so gradual that it only shows very deep ancestry, thousands of years ago.

Autosomal DNA can be taken by ether sex and potentially shows all ancestors for 4 or 5 generations, but only useful if distant cousins have also been tested.

DNA testing is much more effective for proving or disproving information you already have. Work on you own family history first, then use DNA testing if you find a specific need.

• 9 years ago

DNA provides results that goes back thousands of years, but not recent ancestry. You give a cheek swab and pay the fee and the results that you receive are the markers. I would look for results that includes interpretation of the meaning of the markers.

Source(s): Genealogical researcher 40+ years, Anthropologists and instructor, retired.
  • 9 years ago

I really want to do this too, but I am deathly afraid of giving blood.

Good luck!

Source(s): /lurking
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.