Does anybody know famous women in American history that made a difference?

I have a report for school coming up and I am doing it on a famous American woman that made a difference but I'm having a really hard time thinking of one. If you can, please think of one that did something sort of unique and interesting but anything works.

Thanks in advance.((:

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Harriet Tubman, escaped slave who helped many other slaves to escape, and was a spy and scout for the Union Army during the Civil War.

Sarah and Angelina Grimke - the first female anti-slavery lecturers in the USA.

Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony, leaders of the campaign for women's suffrqge throughout the second half of the 1800s.

Harriet Beecher Stowe - her bestselling novel Uncle Tom's Cabin had a massive impact on views on slavery in the North.

Clara Barton - founder of the American Red Cross

Dorothea Dix - campagined for better treatment for mental patients, and was responsible for the founding of many asylums (previously mental patients had been housed in prisons).

Elizabeth Blackwell. The first women to qualify as a doctor from a US medical school, she founded a dispesnary in New York for sick women.

Jane Addams - brought the Settlement House movement to the USA, founded Hull HOuse in Chucago, due to her influence many other settlement houses were founded throughout the USA.

Mother JOnes - labour organiser, organised miner's strikes, and led a campaign against the use of child labor, campaigned into her 90s.

frances Willard. - leader of the vast Women's Christian Temperence union. - a very influential organisation, her decision to support the campaign for women's suffrage made a huge difference, millions of women gave their support to women's suffrage because they thought it would bring about Prohibition.

Madame C.J. walker - the daughter of former slaves, a washerwoman who became America,s first female self-made millionaire, with her company selling beauty products for black women.

Helen Keller. - deaf and blind from babyhood, she was a lifelong campaigner for equal treatment for the disabled, and one of the founder members of the National Council for Civil Liberties.

Eleanor Roosevelt, wife of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, eloquent campaigner for women and for minorities.

Rosa Parks - began the Montgomery Bus Boycott by refusing to give up her seat on the bus, got the whole Civil Rights movement going by her action.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Cheryl
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Margaret Thatcher Indira Ghandi Boudicca Florence Nightingale Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Emmeline Pankhurst Elizabeth I Jane Austen Joan of Arc Leni Reifenstahl (Nazi propaganda) Marie Curie Cleopatra Catherine the Great

• 8 years ago

Abigail Adams, wife of President John Adams.

Eleanor Roosevelt, wife of President Franklin Roosevelt.

Clara Barton.

Dorothea Dix.

• mike
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

I would have to say Amelia Mary Earhart as in my opinion she showed the world that a woman can do what a man can do as well. A lot of other women did this as well, but she used her knowledge and technical skills to do so and set so many records before her disappearance in 1937.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.