Kyle asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 9 years ago

Difference between ethos and ethics?

I'm writing and essay and I one question left to answer.

How does JD’s distinction between ethics and ethos connect with Singer’s essay? Explain. (10 pts.)

My question of the question is, what is the difference between ethics and ethos? Because I thought they were very similar/the same.

Thanks!

Thanks, I will make a note to not over think this question then.

Favorite Answer

"Ethos (Greek for 'character') refers to the trustworthiness or credibility of the writer or speaker. Ethos is often conveyed through tone and style of the message and through the way the writer or speaker refers to differing views. It can also be affected by the writer's reputation as it exists independently from the message--his or her expertise in the field, his or her previous record or integrity, and so forth. The impact of ethos is often called the argument's 'ethical appeal' or the 'appeal from credibility.'"

http://courses.durhamtech.edu/perkins/aris.html

So, if you don't act ethically, you cannot have ethos.

I know who singer is, but who is J.D.?

• parise

Ethics And Ethos

Ethos can be and is defined as the distinguishing character, sentiment, moral nature, or guiding beliefs of a person, group, or organization. Sentiment, character, and beliefs are viewpoints that may or may not involve ethics. For example, a scientist can hold a certain ethos concerning evolution or the big bang theory. The ethos of a person's speech refers to the overall view, standpoint, or belief conveyed. Although a person's ethics are often based upon a particular ethos, a particular ethos need not concern any type of ethics.

e·thos

noun

1. Sociology . the fundamental character or spirit of a culture; the underlying sentiment that informs the beliefs, customs, or practices of a group or society; dominant assumptions of a people or period: In the Greek ethos the individual was highly valued.

http://dictionary.com/

Ethos is something basic from which ethics is derived. You can define ethics, but not ethos.

There is no difference. Ethos literally means ethics.