Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 9 years ago

My mom doesn't like the baby name i picked out?

Ok so am going to give birth next month and its a girl I wanna name it Chris and my mom keeps saying how she hates it and how i should name it hannah and how its a boy name. But I hate the name hannah and I don't really like girl names but i love unisex names I really really wanna name her Chris what do i do? do you guys think its a good name?

Favorite Answer

Your mother got to name you, so you should get to name your own baby. Having said that, I think Chris isn't a good full name for a girl. My suggestion would be to name her Christine or Christina, and Chris can be her nickname. When your baby grows up, having a proper, formal first name will look more professional.

Hannah is my favourite girl's name!

Well, it if it just straight Chris then yes, it would be classed as a boys name but... you could name her Christine and call her Chris. I am a Mother of a daughter that had a baby years back and there is no way I would interfere in what name she wanted to choose her her child, the choice really is yours, everyone in the family had the choice to name their children as they wish and so should you.

I hope this has helped a little, many congrats and hope all will go well.

I think Chris is cute too. You could meet her in the middle and name her Christen, Christa, Christal Christina, etc. and call her Chris or Chrissy. I hope this helps - remember, it's YOUR baby YOU get to name her - your mom HAD her chance with you and any siblings you have. It's your turn and your mom is going to love the baby when she holds her and won't care about the name - your daughter will make her name something your mom will love. Whatever you do do NOT name your child a name you hate both you and your child will regret it later on.

Best Wishes

Personally I don't like the name Chris for a girl. I think it would be fine if it was a nickname for Christine or Christiana, but Chris alone is much too plainly masculine, plus you can always call her Chris and your mom could call her by her more feminine full name. I do think, however, that you should name your kid what ever you want no matter what your mom thinks.

It's your baby so name her whatever you want. Though you should probably name her Christina or something and just call her Chris. That would get your mom off your back and allow you to call your baby what you want at the same time.

It's not her baby. I think you should go with whatever you want. It's your kid, she doesn't have the right to tell you what to name. I wouldn't name my girl Chris, but I like girly names, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. If you like the name Chris, name her Chris. It's all up to you :P

I believe that chris is too much of a masculine name for a girl, but also i believe that you shouldn't have to name her hannah.

• JK.

Well ultimately it is up to you, not her. She needs to step back.

That being said, I would think again about 'Chris'. This spelling is seen as a boys name. I don't see it being feminine at all, unless it's a nickname for something like Christine.

How about Kristen? That could be Kris as a nickname. (Or Krissy if she ends up being really girly!)

Its YOUR child who YOU are giving birth to, not her. I feel like you should name it Chris because thats the name you like and mother should accept that fact. (sorry i have a very controling mother and it makes me mad when moms try to control things like this) name it chris and tell her to nickname it Chrissy or something. But one way or another she'll get over it.

Source(s): My very opinonated opinion!

What about Christina nicknamed Chris? That way you're both compromising, as its a girls name, but you get to call her Chris.