how long does it take to cancer when you smoke cigarette?

i am 14 and i smoke 2 a day. how long will take me to any sort of cancer? .

i just been smoking for last 4 months.

Best Answer

Apparently, health class wasn't a class you particularly listened in.

People who start smoking at younger ages are at higher risk later in life. Lung cancer rates begin increasing in the mid to late 40s and peak in the late 70s. Many people think low tar or filtered cigarettes are safer. The truth is most people will compensate for these cigarettes by inhaling deeper and/or smoking more cigarettes in order to satisfy their need for nicotine. It is important to remember that occasional cigarette use can increase risk of cardiovascular disease dramatically. This is very pertinent, because cigarette smoking kills more people from cardiovascular diseases (heart attack, stroke and peripheral vascular disease) than all cancers combined.

• Carol

Depends on your body and several different other factors but smoking will certainly contribute to your downfall. Why would a 16 year old even want to smoke especially after watching her dad die of cancer? My dad died from lung cancer, yes, he was a smoker. He died 10 days before his 54th birthday. He missed all of his grandchildren, he missed college graduations, Christmas, Thanksgiving and all those fun family times. You are young and you have a full and wonderful life ahead of you. Start making some smart choices, eat healthy, do fun and healthy things, learn something new and find the adventure in life every day. If you are so paranoid about lung cancer, you might also consider that smoking contributes to heart disease as well. But yes, there is a way to prevent all that and that would be QUIT now. Set yourself up for success.

You don't have to smoke to get cancer, alcohol, bad diet and lack of exercise can also cause cancer and various other things contribute to cancer and there is hundreds of different types of cancer and a quarter of people dying with lung cancer have never smoked. As you will have gathered I am a smoker and have smoked for a long time as I am 55 years old and as yet I do not have lung cancer and my dad was 73 years old when he got lung cancer but you could be one of those people that never get cancer or you could get it at a young age, just your luck but they are now saying that there is a genetic link to lung cancer?

http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/news/archive/canc...

You can get cancer by lighting the first one. it is some common risk, every cigarette can activate any cell in your body to grow to cancer.

You can only take the risk of getting cancer down by stop smoking now.

Quit smoking. so you don't break anyone's heart 30 yrs from now. It's expensive it's dumb to smoke. My fiancee died of pancreatic cancer directly related to his smoking cigarettes....and he had quit 20 yrs earlier. He left family and friends way too early. Is that what you want??

I have to disagree with the person who said it was 3 weeks. They are just trying to scare you and it would never occur that soon. It is actually 4 weeks with some being able to last as much as 5 weeks.

Some people never get cancer and others can get it as early as their twenties but its a big risk

It really depends on your health and fitness. Also some people have worse reactions to cigarettes than others so you may get it from the first cigarette or you may not get it at all. Hope I helped ;) xx

There isn't a timetable LOL and not everyone who smokes gets cancer,.

Source(s): I am a cancer registrar.
  • Joey T

3 weeks