Why do my parents use devotion as a time to criticize and control my life?

Family devotion has really become a turn off for me. I've been so turned off by it that I don't even want to go to church with my mom anymore. My dad himself is atheist but he criticizes me for believing in God but at least he doesn't bug me as much. The number one rule I learned is don't freaking... show more Family devotion has really become a turn off for me. I've been so turned off by it that I don't even want to go to church with my mom anymore. My dad himself is atheist but he criticizes me for believing in God but at least he doesn't bug me as much. The number one rule I learned is don't freaking ask questions about what you believe. I am more into silent catholic mass where worship isn't a thing where you make a scene and shout and scream and be distracting to others. I like being humble and not having people hear me scream and shout. When I told her my point of view and how strongly I felt about it she kicked me out. The other day she called my brother out and said he didn't worship made him stand up while the whole family watched and embarrass himself and on top of that she threw his xbox in the garbage. This started ever since she started going to that ridiculous church. I can't stand the way she has become. What hurts me the most is that I'm singing in a religion that I don't believe in. Why is she using religion as a way to control us and criticize our beliefs.
Update: I gotta love that person who thinks im this rebellious teenager who thinks I know it all. They sound just like my mom. Listen I couldnt care less if my mom was mega religious or no i just don't want her to try and make me the same way. I don't have all the answers in fact if I did i wouldnt really be asking... show more I gotta love that person who thinks im this rebellious teenager who thinks I know it all. They sound just like my mom. Listen I couldnt care less if my mom was mega religious or no i just don't want her to try and make me the same way. I don't have all the answers in fact if I did i wouldnt really be asking this online. Im going to be 18 real soon and my mom picks my clothes for me still yes my mom beats me up too only if I talk about freedom of speech my rights as a person ect. I dont know how ppl can assume the whole story when the only know bits of it