Why do my parents use devotion as a time to criticize and control my life?

Family devotion has really become a turn off for me. I've been so turned off by it that I don't even want to go to church with my mom anymore. My dad himself is atheist but he criticizes me for believing in God but at least he doesn't bug me as much. The number one rule I learned is don't freaking ask questions about what you believe. I am more into silent catholic mass where worship isn't a thing where you make a scene and shout and scream and be distracting to others. I like being humble and not having people hear me scream and shout. When I told her my point of view and how strongly I felt about it she kicked me out. The other day she called my brother out and said he didn't worship made him stand up while the whole family watched and embarrass himself and on top of that she threw his xbox in the garbage. This started ever since she started going to that ridiculous church. I can't stand the way she has become. What hurts me the most is that I'm singing in a religion that I don't believe in. Why is she using religion as a way to control us and criticize our beliefs.

I gotta love that person who thinks im this rebellious teenager who thinks I know it all. They sound just like my mom. Listen I couldnt care less if my mom was mega religious or no i just don't want her to try and make me the same way. I don't have all the answers in fact if I did i wouldnt really be asking this online. Im going to be 18 real soon and my mom picks my clothes for me still yes my mom beats me up too only if I talk about freedom of speech my rights as a person ect. I dont know how ppl can assume the whole story when the only know bits of it

• Favorite Answer

Because that's what parents do... They are indoctrinating you into their belief system.

Unfortunately, unless they're beating you, raping you, or not feeding you they have a right to do as they please with you.

So you need to put up with it, do very well in school, get a job and save up your money, then turn 18 and go far far away to college and get therapy for their mental abuse.

Just be aware that girls, specifically, with overly intrusive mothers tend to develop eating disorders. (And yes, this is 100% the fault of the parent.) So see if you can get into some therapy NOW, while you're still at home, to help you cope with your family of origin until you can move out and go far far away to college.

Do everything in your power to only go home to eat and sleep... Join a club, join band, join a sport, volunteer somewhere, touter kids, get a job... Not only will this keep you away from the b*tch but it will build your resume so that you can get a scholarship and again, go far far away to college.

The best revenge against sh*tty parents is to be successful in your life and be able to come home for the holidays in your 30's and say "See... I did all of this despite your sh*tty parenting."

i don't know why anyone would turn devotion time into 'time to criticize the kids,' but i guess your parents are a little confused, or something. hang in there. and don't give up your faith.

forget everything that you've learned at church or through 'devotions,' and pick up the Bible and study, beginning with the four gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. pray for understanding. you will not be disappointed. i was 13 years old when i told my mother that i no longer wanted to attend her dead church, and i showed her in the Bible why i didn't want to go there, but she asked that i continue until i was confirmed, and being an obedient child, i complied. it didn't hurt me. when i grew up, the Lord led me to a wonderful church, right where He wanted me. God bless you.

Im not going to give you all the reasons why Im not a Catholic, but just let me say that I too am turned off by religious people.

If you seek God with your whole heart, you will find Him. Jesus said anyone who comes to Him He will not turn away.

Its better to know forsure that Jesus exists than to allow any religious type people to turn you away from God, even if its your parent.

I think you would probably agree that its better to have the truth than to believe a lie, even if the truth hurts

Sigh.

She does this because she's a really bad parent who cannot allow her children the individuality and independence they need to be healthy happy adults. She feels that the church and her religion give her a legitimate reason to control her kids, and that makes her happy.

Source(s): Check out this website: http://new.exchristian.net/

Because to criticize and control is the exact purpose of religion...

you are 13, 14, 15, 16 whatever and think you know it all. You don't

Get a little humility and listen to your parents....when you are 18 19 20 and paying the bills, you get to make the choices

Wow a humble delusionist , how utterly refreshing! I really feel safe now! I'm going to throw up!

Teenaged angst, gotta love it.

• Joshua

Theory here: She's frustrated with your atheist father and is taking it out on you.

It is an all technique nthat still works!

Good thing your parents are not deeply into Bible stuff that allows them all sorts of freedom... they are only restricted by secular law.

Christians still have the option in the Law of God to buy a suitable slave of any age like they did in colonial America, and up to recent history!

Today, it is the Secular Law that doesn’t allow them to own slaves any more!

Holy Moses is the virtual Saint Protector of all the pedophile perverts in the World (Num31:17-18).

Biblical pedophilia in all its extreme forms is promoted in favor of the child abuser (Psa137:8-9).

Anybody having the urge to get a little girl for whatever sexual pleasure doesn’t need to date her! They can buy her from a set of God loving parents breeding girls for the sex slave market -Exo21:7-8).

You can also trick the girl anyway she would fall for! God the Holy Ghost sent the Archangel Saint Gabriel to sweet talk the Horny Virgin Mary into some sort of a Divine copulation to get her pregnant!

Mary didn’t hesitate at all to lay with a perfect stranger! Holy Joe busted her into her 6 month pregnancy. He married her anyway!

Titus 2:9

(Saint Paul instructs the Clergy!) Teach slaves*

(*including little boy and girl slaves)

to be subject to their masters in everything*

(*never to say “NO,” or “stop that it hurts!”)

to try to please them* (*!!!), not to talk back to them*

(*the Bible writers never hinted any appeal procedure whatsoever, but all the opposite, Christians are not allowed to sue anybody! 1Cor6:7)

==

Slaves in the Bible stories were NOT a bunch of poorly paid employees, like they claim in the JW religion. They were truly slaves without any free choice!

Even Jesus Christ recommends “MANY STRIPES” for moron slaves! (Luke 12:47-48)

Exodus 21:20-21

“If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod*

(*just for the pleasure of it!)

and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished*

(*NOWHERE in the whole Bible does it say how, but It says plenty on how to beat the Hell out of slaves!)

but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two*

(*ROFLMAO!)

since the slave is “HIS PROPERTY”*

(*in God’s Authorized KJV, it says “HIS MONEY”)

==

God ordered the Holy Prophet Hosea to buy an experienced sex slave to help him write his portion of the Bible -Hos3:2-3,Rom15:4).

Any Christian can beat a slave into a coma every third day or so. God enjoys watching.

As long as the slaves get up and walk, God is pleased!

The whole Book of Philemon teaches escaped Christian slaves to return to their masters.

Saint Peter, the First Pope, also orders slaves to submit to their masters no matter how abusive they are (1Pet2:18)!

In the USA this Christian lifestyle was in effect until the mid 1860.

Deuteronomy 21:18-21

If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son*

(*still a teenager)

who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him*

(*beat the Hell out of him! Like King Solomon suggests -Prov 23:13-14)

his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. They shall say to the elders "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard."*

(*no evidence or witnesses is required. God doesn’t give the kid any recourse)

Then ALL THE MEN of his town shall stone him to death*

(*right then and there, all the “God loving” perverts of that town were just waiting for the next young man to be stoned to death!)

You must purge the evil from among you. ALL ISRAEL WILL HEAR OF IT AND BE AFRAID*

(*A bit of Mafia talk works like a charm, even today! Have your unruly child stoned to death in full public view, and all the kids in town will learn a lesson that they will never forget! Today only the Muslims still stone their people to death)

==

Stoning is more fun than watching 40 annoying kids being mauled by 2 she-bears (2Kin2:24).

The Bible writers were obviously a bunch of child abusing perverts writing stories always in support of all forms of pedophilia.

The Clergy today is at a terrible disadvantage, they can’t even FONDLE kids anymore!

Most Americans still subscribe to this primitive child abusing religion! Islam is worse!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChnpaMK1oLQ

Youtube thumbnail

Ecclesiastes 9:10

WHATEVER your hand finds to do, DO IT WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.

RELIGION IS AN INSULT TO HUMAN DIGNITY. As a product, it has no quality control approval. It is virtually sold at 10% of any income, AS IS! Politicians know how to take full advantage of religion even in this ONE NATION UNDER GOD!