promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Assess the impact of the Montgomery Bus BOYCOTT to the Civil Rights Movement?

i need help please, iv got to answer this question and i need to answer it with only a few references to Martin Luther King as possible.

i need help with the conclusion?

thankyou:D

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Montgomery Bus Boycott was a political and social protest campaign started in 1955 in Montgomery, Alabama, intended to oppose the city's policy of racial segregation on its public transit system. The ensuing struggle lasted from December 5, 1955, to December 21, 1956, and led to a United States Supreme Court decision that declared the Alabama and Montgomery laws requiring segregated buses, unconstitutional.

Pressure increased across the country and on June 4, 1956, the federal district court ruled that Alabama's racial segregation laws for buses were unconstitutional [Browder v. Gayle]. However, an appeal kept the segregation intact and the boycott continued until, finally, on November 13, 1956, the Supreme Court upheld the lower court's ruling.

This victory led to a city ordinance that allowed black bus passengers to sit virtually anywhere they wanted and the boycott officially ended December 21, 1956. Martin Luther King capped off the victory with a magnanimous speech to encourage acceptance of the decision. The boycott resulted in the US civil rights movement receiving one of its first victories, and gave Martin Luther King the national attention that would make him one of the prime leaders of the cause.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.