Advanced techniques for hand-making perfumes/colognes?

Specifically, I want to know how to make (mostly using essential oils and fragrance oils) a cologne that lasts long and has a strong scent. I've tried multiple times and the scent is either weak or doesn't last. I'm not looking for formulas for specific long-lasting scents. I'm looking for... show more Specifically, I want to know how to make (mostly using essential oils and fragrance oils) a cologne that lasts long and has a strong scent. I've tried multiple times and the scent is either weak or doesn't last. I'm not looking for formulas for specific long-lasting scents. I'm looking for methods/additives/compunds/etc. that can be used to make any homemade scent mixture stay strong and last on the skin. The most I've been able to get it to last is an hour or so with the usual essential oils, distilled water, and alcohol mixtures. What am I missing that makes some colognes stand out so strongly and last so long on the skin?
Update: I know about the notes, high (bright, like mint, citrus, etc.). low (like musk and sandalwood), and middle (like lavender and rosemary), and I also know about bridge notes (like vanilla) that react differently in the fragrance depending on other scents present, often as connecting agents between the other aromas. ... show more I know about the notes, high (bright, like mint, citrus, etc.). low (like musk and sandalwood), and middle (like lavender and rosemary), and I also know about bridge notes (like vanilla) that react differently in the fragrance depending on other scents present, often as connecting agents between the other aromas. I know the normal ratios of water to alcohol to essential oils, and I even know about a few ways to lengthen the shelf-life of oils and perfumes (benzoin tincture comes to mind for a homemade solution).

What I am asking specifically for is two things:
-How do I make the scent stronger on the skin, especially without just adding more oil, which makes the scent overbearing and somewhat obnoxious?
-How do I make the scent last on the skin? Abercrombie lasts a day and a half on the back of my hand(and I'm a frequent handwasher), while the scents of my oils, tinctures, and perfumes barely last an hour. Even Anne Riva oils last for 5 or 6 hours, and most of those are homemad
1 answer 1