Republicans now want to take away lunch?

It seems New Hampshire Republicans want to make lunch breaks optional. They have recent put forth a bill that would allow employers not to give lunch breaks. Their rationale is that employers will simply give lunch breaks based on the goodness of their hearts and not on their profit margins. How well would that work?

"Back in 2005, Walmart was forced to pay $172 million for denying workers their lunch breaks. Pyramid Breweries Inc. settled a case in 2008 for $1.5 million. Just a few months ago, California ordered Embassy Suites to pay workers tens of thousands of dollars for forcing them to skip breaks." So now that we know what Republicans have in store for workers, do you trust them with your lunch?

Andy at the moment it is only in New Hampshire, but if it works expect it to spread. The only way to stop this is for American workers to gather together and demand that our rights be protected. Long ago the workers banded together in unions in order to gain better rights and better pay. It seems we may need to do it again. Republicans have been battling to destroy unions for decades. Now we see what they have in store for us.

• Andy F
    Favorite Answer

No, I dont trust them at all.

I will say that there may be a few intelligent capitalists who hire fairly skilled workers, and want them to think clearly and have enough energy to devote to doing a good job. That minority of enlightened capitalists may decide to keep regular lunch times in the belief that a period of rest, and some time to digest one's food, will make their workers more productive.

But you're right about Wal-Mart. Companies like Wal-Mart and Embassy Suites will lead the competitive race to the bottom.

Do you have any advice on how to stop this? Voting the Republicans out is a good step, IMO, but there are some "moderate" Democratic politicians who might do the same thing. How can working people mobilize to keep the greed of the employers in check?

most employeers due give lunch breaks and breaks for lunch law or not. Why because an employee who is tired is not going to be has productive. Also if the economy was healthy and an employeer who abuased there employees and made them workd 8 to 9 hour stright and diden't pay good wages would find themselfs without good employees.

Parents need to be more responsible and not expect BIG GOV MAMA to replace their care.

GENERATIONS In the past BIG GOV handed out unhealthy American Cheese that was high in fat, and now these people are depending on them - to feed kids. '

Enough is enough - care for you kids, provide for them, spend time with them, read to them, help them with their homework.

Parents could cut cost if they would stop buying convenience food and purchase food that is better for them.

Tonight I saw a pregnant woman at the store with a man, they both barely spoke english had a cart full of kids and some following them (outside the cart) and later I noticed they checked out at with some type of food stamp or government payment.

Gee --- just have one or two and provide for them yourself!

I work all days to pay taxes to pay for these people to have kids and buy gov subsidized or GOV paid for food.

I wish my check was larger --- and I made my kids all their food after I purchased them

There is no federal law that requires lunch breaks at work

There is no federal law that requires any breaks at all at work.

And very few states have laws requiring lunch breaks or any other kind of break at work.

So yes, most employers do it out of the goodness of their heart.

2. Now if a employer decides to give breaks and lunch breaks, and its in their policy manual, then they cannot deny the breaks to workers, unless they completely end the policy

IE: they cannot say, were busy today, you have to work during break.

3. Note: liberals in NYC are trying to end school breakfast for poor kids

Their twisted logic - the breakfast is making kids fat, because some will eat breakfast at home and at school,

So they would rather punish the kids who do NOT get breakfast at home, than let the others eat twice.

Liberals are so compassionate !!!!!!!

Cons are mostly retired and don't work anymore, so they don't give a crap.

Wrong

You want to blame someone then look in the mirror

don't work there...

This is good stuff. Please keep reposting. Expose them.

You are very confused.