was joseph smith a treasure digger?

this is an answer to mormon 4 and daniel.. mormon 4 states j.s. was ont a fruad , or a treasure digger, or a liar...mormon 4 you should read up on the history of j.s., it will tell you what you do not want to believe. daniel, true science cannot prove faith, but it can prove the truth of the bom.... mormon 4 you state the bom and the bible cannot be proven devine,,, what you are saying is that the mormon church cannot prove the bom is devine???if the bom is not devine it has to be historical fiction... you are the first mormon to state bom, is not devine, good for you. now convince your brothers in faith you are right......

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Joseph Smith looked at a seer stone placed in his hat to guide the money diggers in their search for buried treasure. So, yes, he was a treasure digger. Martin Harris testified to this in the famous Tiffany’s interview. I wrote an article on this very subject entitled Those Mysterious Golden Plates. The Tiffany Interview is included in that work. Please click on the link. The evidence is clear as water and documented very well.

In reality, the Book of Mormon is not what Joseph Smith or his scribes claimed it to be. Neither are the so called Revelations found in the Doctrine and Covenants. There is no reasonable doubt that both works are fabrications.

As a young man Joseph Smith was influenced by the folk magic practiced among his family and prevalent in his day. Looking into the depths of the earth by gazing at a seer stone is nothing less than folk magic. Claiming to have second sight without actually having it is nothing less than a confidence game.

Timeline:

• In 1823, Smith supposedly discovered golden plates using a seer stone.

• In 1825, Smith was employed to search for buried treasure using a seer stone.

• In 1826, after being instructed by an angel to bring the right person so he could obtain the plates, Smith looked into a seer stone to find the right person.

• From 1827 through 1829, Smith translated the golden plates using a seer stone, or stones.

• In 1829, several revelations currently published in the Doctrine and Covenants, were received by Joseph Smith using seer stones.

• In 1843, Joseph Smith taught,

“The place where God resides is a great Urim and Thummim”

This is another way of saying that God lives on a giant seer stone.

Smith’s preoccupation with seer stones is well documented. It began 10 years before the Book of Mormon was published. It continued 13 years after the Book of Mormon was published. Moroni even supplied a set of seer stones with the golden plates so Smith could translate the record on the plates.

Or, was that a fabricated story?

Yes. It was!

There is absolutely no substance to the stories and written works brought forth from the Mormon Prophet. Joseph Smith gazed into his crystal ball, then reached into his magic hat; what he pulled out was pure smoke!

Rich Kelsey

• 8 years ago

In Joseph's day, treasure digging was a legitimate profession, It was not until later that it fell into the fraudulent realm. So Joseph's jobs as a money digger were legitimate. The court case brought against him was for telling his employer to stop digging for treasure, as there was none to be found. The man's children didn't like that and took him to court. His employer testified in his behalf.

And, you have to look at all the 'historical' evidence. His detractors made a lot up and also looked for cases with the name Joseph Smith on them. Not all of the cases they brought to light belonged to the same Joseph Smith. Yes, there are some cases which belongs to that Joseph Smith, but he was exonerated in all of them. His critics wanted to put him in bad light. They never brought up any of the several certified letters naming Joseph as a fine, upstanding man of principles, that wouldn't match the picture they were trying to make of him.

• 8 years ago

Joseph Smith had a unique gift. Pretty much everyone who knew him believed it. Some tried to use that gift to find treasure, when Joseph was a young teenager. One man hired him to help him search for Spanish treasure. Joseph went along, and did some digging, and eventually talked the man out of searching for the lost treasure. Digging for treasure was a popular pastime in the day. Joseph talks about the experience in his history.

Almost all of those people who were closest to Joseph Smith whole-heartedly believed in his gift and in the divinity of the translation of the Book of Mormon. Those who didn't know him were the ones to accuse him of fraud. Brigham Young said that Joseph was the most righteous man he had ever met. Several witnesses gave testimony to the reality of the Book of Mormon and the angel Moroni. Some 15 witnesses all told testified to seeing both the angel and the book. Four of them (including Joseph himself) heard the voice of God declare the translation to be correct.

• Ammon
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

If God wants someone to be The Prophet, then there is nothing that you or anyone else can do to stop it.

Regardless of their background, a person who is called to be a Prophet, is called by God not by mortal men.

Only one is wise and that is God.

If I would make a suggestion it would be this, trust God and God's wisdom, not mortal men and their foolishness.

Keep all the commandments of Jesus Christ, and that way God can communicate the truth to you. Have faith, and you can be healed both physically and spiritually.

http://Mormon.org Chat.

God bless.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

you have some exciting notions. I no of no revelation meaning that the hill in upstate long island is the hill Cumorah pronounced interior the e book of Mormon. i think of human beings in simple terms started calling it that because of the fact they misinterpret the scripture. Moroni dug up the information from the hill Cumorah and fled the rustic because of the fact each physique who does no longer deny the Christ replaced into being placed to loss of life. i don't have faith that all of us understand the place the hill Cumorah is, different than to assert that's in present day Mexico. All contributions are voluntary. Their legal status as a company does no longer imply something - any church may well be a company. that's a interest that the united states as quickly as inacted regulations to confiscate the valuables of the church. i assume freedom of religion purely utilized to non-Mormons. I hardly evaluate it to be harassment to ask somebody to bypass to our church. Is it harassment once you invite human beings to attend your church? Christ taught us to love one yet another. enable us to start by recognizing the sweetness in a single yet another. i understand of no credible information that Joseph Smith replaced right into a conman. on the different hand there is amazingly credible information that he replaced into who he claimed. He wasn't the only one to work out angels and have visions; there have been a number of of the early church leaders who additionally enjoyed those astonishing reviews. Joseph Smith replaced into consistently speedy to help somebody in choose, and died interior the provider of God. He replaced into primary as a loving father and husband. that's annoying to locate a much better occasion of Christlike love.

• 8 years ago

Here are the legal papers and statements from his neighbors concerning his fraudulent and outrageous behavior. It's all part of the historical record, and there is nothing youthful or innocent about it.

Even back then, people recognized con artists when they saw one:

http://richkelsey.org/1826_trial_testimonies.htm

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Of course... everyone who has studied history knows that Joseph Smith, Jr. was born on December 23, 1805. He came from a poor farming family. Joseph never had more than a 3rd grade education...

As a young man in the 1820s, he participated in a "craze for treasure hunting". Gold seeking and treasure hunting were widespread and fairly common, even among the educated, during this time period. In May 1838, Joseph Smith admitted that as a very young man he once was what was called a "money digger", working for a wealthy farmer, but said that it "was never a very profitable job, as he only got fourteen dollars a month for it". He quit and moved on...

Joseph Smith claims to have been visited by angels and taught by prophets referred to in the Holy Bible...

“And I saw another mighty angel come down from heaven,…: He held a small, opened scroll in his hand… And the voice which I heard from heaven spake unto me again, and said, Go and take the little book which is open in the hand of the angel... And I went unto the angel, and said unto him, Give me the little book. And he said unto me, Take it, and eat it up; and it shall make thy belly bitter, but it shall be in thy mouth sweet as honey… And I took the little book out of the angel's hand, and ate it up; and it was in my mouth sweet as honey: and as soon as I had eaten it, my belly was bitter… And he said unto me, Thou must prophesy again before many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings…” (Revelation 10:1-9)

Prior to the formation of the LDS Church, Joseph Smith claims that with Heavenly help he translated an ancient record called the "Book of Mormon” or another Testament of Jesus Christ" (BOM)...

On one occasion 8 other men testified that they saw and held the ancient record which Joseph Smith translated...

On another occasion an additional 3 men also saw and held the ancient record...

All of these witnesses formally recorded and signed their testimonies of the existence of the actual ancient record recorded on gold plates...

...and never denied the experience or existence of the record they saw Joseph Smith had in his possession, even when most of them left the church or were excommunicated.

It is worth noting that the LDS church claims the BOM contains the gospel of Jesus Christ, as does the Holy Bible. The two books show the world that the Savior Jesus Christ is the same yesterday today and forever, and that He teaches the same doctrine for all of us...

The Book of Mormon teaches to believe in, and follow Christ. Further, for those who have taken the time to read the Book of Mormon, one realizes that it testifies of Christ almost on every page. For example, the Book of Mormon consists of 6,607 verses. Over half of those verses, 3,925, refer specifically to Jesus Christ. This amounts to a reference to Jesus Christ for every 1.7 verses in the Book of Mormon. So, the Book of Mormon is filled with testimonies of Jesus Christ, His Lordship, His role as Savior, Judge, Creator, etc., on almost every page. How does the book end? On the last page of the Book of Mormon, one will find the following passage:

"Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God. And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot.”

www.lds.org

and/or

www.mormon.org

If you really want to know more...

• 8 years ago

Yeah, this fact is well documented

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.