should i take ap statistics or pre-calculus?

Im currently a junior taking algebra 2. Im not sure if i should take ap statistics or pre-calculus my senior year. Personally im not a fan of math. Which would be harder, which should i take!? please help:(

• Jared
    Best Answer

AP Statistics will probably be easier.

High School statistics is mainly about plugging things into equations...and, if memory serves me right, you don't even have to memorize the equations (but you DO have to know when to use which equation).

There won't really be any equations in Pre-Calculus, it will be more like Algebra II, where you have to figure out and solve problems.

This is my advice:

If you're good at math, pre-cal will probably be easier, if you are NOT good at math (but still a fairly good student), then AP Statistics will probably be easier. Since you said you didn't like math, this is why I suggest AP Statistics.

btw, you'll have to take pre-cal in College anyway unless you score high enough on the SAT-II Math test (perhaps just SAT or ACT, but I'm not sure...probably differs from college to college)...or you can get credit from AP Calculus...I'm not sure what credit you would get for AP Statistics, that might work for your math credit too.

Edit:

...oh and just so you're not confused, you would have to take pre-cal anyway, even if you take pre-cal in high school, so taking pre-cal doesn't get you out of taking it in college. Pre-Cal is the entry level math course in college...unless you are remediated, in which case they will put you in College Algebra, but this class generally does NOT count towards your math credit.

• ros

I'd go pre calculus. But that's cos I like it so much better.

• Rick

Take pre-calc and do the home work ... it will make you better in math and help your thinking skills.