Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetGoogle · 8 years ago

is copying pictures from Google Images illegal?

I am writing a book about the breed of Shih Tzu dogs, the dog book publisher that i am writing it for say they want books with many pictures, I only know two people besides myself that own Shih Tzu dogs so the only way I would be able to get pictures is from Google Images. I stay away from people pictures that look like they were taken in someones home, I copied and pasted the pictures that looked professionally done. Can I get in trouble for this?

• Hugh
    Best Answer

All internet images are copyrighted unless use is specifically granted. If you plan to use the image commercially, you must get permission or you can be sued. Your publisher will almost certainly ask if you have such permission.

The ones taken in homes, likely not. The professional ones however may be copyrighted. In all, Google is a bad place when hunting for images. You could always put the owner of the images in the book somewhere or ask if the publishers have stock images.

Its actually legal to copy almost any picture you wantfrom the internet. But if you gain money from copying that picture in any way or form it becomes ileagal.

• Kate

the best way to do it is to look at the site's copyright info or site info. That should tell you. They may be fine with you using it, or you may need to provide their site info and cite them if you do. If you are unclear, they usually provide an email address to contact and ask them.