When looking at a used car what should I look for under the hood?

I am looking at purchasing a used 2011 Dodge Journey. I was examining under the hood and there is paint markings on all of the hoses, dipsticks, hoses, and even bolts. Is this from the dealer inspection? The markings are in a variety of colors. Also, the Journey has about 20,000 miles. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Excessive amounts of oil on the engine. Taped up wires that may have been cut or rigged. Listen for whining or grinding noises from the belt area while its running looking for smoke also. Check the belts for small cracks ( not a big deal tho ) Check for wires and hoses that arent connected ( ask the seller why ) Check the oil on the dip stick. Really black means the oil hasnt been changed recently also indicating the owner didnt change it often enough. If the oil looks milky deff dont buy, Check the trans fluid make its bright pink. Listen for knocking or pinging from the motor. Check the tread and for uneven wear on the tires. Look under the car for puddle of fluids hope this helps

Check under the hood of the car for any indication of dents, damage or rust. These can all be signs that the car was either poorly taken care of or damaged. Each fender, just inside where the hood joins should have the decal with the VIN of the car; if one is missing, that fender was replaced.Also, it’s a good idea to check the body for signs of extensive work the interior and the tires for damage, and under the hood, too.

Source(s): Trucks For Sale in Savannah Ga -http://www.tell-n-sell.com/s-Domestic-Trucks-Class...

I dunno WHAT the paint is..look at the top of the engine near the radio for signs of a crash and replace..overspray paint and new or hammered out parts